Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you get started remember this is an ARTISTIC endeavor! No amount of instructions will give you what I did. Enjoy the process and make it your own and you will succeed at your project.

1. Get a hard bound book! Big books look great but the important thing here is that it should be expendable because we are going to ruin it for its original intended purpose
Font Games

2. Burn the outside edges to help age the book. I used a blow torch, but any flame will do. Be careful not to burn the spine (it will cause the book to fall apart).
Handheld power drill Rotary tool Tool Wood Impact driver

3. Dunk the book in a bucket of water to help age the pages (helps to put out the fire where you just BURNED it! lol) Dont SOAK the book through its unnecessary and takes forever to dry.
Food

4. Thoroughly dry the book by fanning out the pages letting them wrinkle. (dry them good to keep mold from growing)
Roof Metal

Wood Driftwood Paper

5. Look the pages over for things that dont look right (glossy pages, inserts...) and tear them out! It will actually enhance the aged look if you dont hurt the spine. Maybe tear a few more :)
Text Paper Font Design Document

6. Hot glue stuff/critters/bobbles to the front and back of the cover. You can hot glue pre-made letters to write things or use the hot glue gun to write stuff. GET ARTSY!
Art Fictional character

Text Font Art Recreation Tile

7. Use wrapping tissue to paper mache' the front and back cover making sure to squeeze out air pocket because they will rob you of your details. Two layers of paper was all I used.
Font Carving Glass Square Stone carving

8. Paint the front and back cover with dark brown craft paint. Any dark color works but I wanted mine to look a little like leather.
Gas

9. Rub and Buff the DRY brown paint to bring out details. If you are unfamiliar with "RUB & BUFF" you can use light colored craft paint rubbing a tiny bit over the covers with a towel that is dirty with the lighter color paint (not wet, too much ruins the effect).
Font Metal Furniture

Material property Snack Electronics Plastic

10. Seal the new paint with "matte sealer" spray. (Home Depot/Michaels/Craft Stores)
Plant

11. DONE! lay it out where people can see your great work! And POST PICTURES!
White Wall Paper Floor Design

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for the tutorial and inspiration! I'm still planning to try and add some darker sections when I find a smaller brush, but here's mine so far. It's not as bright as it appears either. The dry-brush colour is an antique white mixed with a maple brown. The dark brown background is burnt umber.
Brown Leather

·
Registered
460 Posts
I love to make art with mod podged tissue paper and hot glue over the top of it. Never thought of doing it the other way around! This looks amazing, and is sparking tons of ideas for me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Great Post!!

I love making books like this using all sorts of different techniques and media.

A good way to get free books is look for encyclopedias online on Kijiji or Craigslist etc. I have like two sets in my basement I got from Kijiji for free

I will try to post some of my examples

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Thanks for the great idea. I am wanting to make an open book for one of my witches to hold in her hands. I was thinking about making it from styrofoam, but I might be able to make something like this work instead. I would have to hallow out the pages to make it lighter though. Going to hit up yard sales and thrift stores to look for all sorts of supplies to make Halloween props with, or to use with props. I will definitely be keeping my eyes open for a large book.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.