Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to post this as an example of art you can make without having to be a really skilled illustrator or artist. I was wanting something sinister and stark for the walls this Halloween, and this is what I came up with.
I used some cheap kitchen masonite from Lowes. I used cheap acrylic Gesso and acrylic paints from Michael's as well as crackle medium for the border.

All I did was cut a piece smaller than the border piece. I glued them together (wood glue) and slathered on the gesso with a plastic gesso knife. You can find these at Michael's, too.
I worked some swirls and squiggles into the gesso, which I applied thick, and let it dry. Feel free to try all sorts of patterns in your gesso for texture. I mixed up a sickly green and painted it on, sketched a simple gothic mansion and hills with windblown grass, then painted on the black. The yellow was added last. You can draw literally any image you like, and simple shapes and silhouettes work best. The less detail, the better.
The edge was the same sickly green, plus crackle medium, then black. I just followed the directions on the crackle medium.
Varnish the sucker and call it done. Just a little something that I hope you find useful.
View attachment 2754

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Push,

I appreciate what you're saying here, and I thank you for the compliment.
What I was trying to do was show the technique more than anything. You could paint a simple jack o'lantern or a ghost or a skull and apply the same methods. You could stencil in a design you like, anything that makes for a recognizable shape or silhouette.
So, yeah, I know some folks couldn't just draw that house, but lots of people could trace a paper cutout of a shape or image they like.

I'm glad you guys like it. I intend to do some more over the next few weeks, I'll probably post just before Halloween.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It looks great! The green adds a lot of creepiness to the picture. Thanks for letting us know how you did it, it's very useful.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looks great, I agree with Cammy the green looks incredible next time you are making one a few pictures of work in progress would be greatly appreciated!

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well,

I promised another last year, and didn't get around to it, but I'm doing another this year. I'll take some in-progress photos this time.

I'm planning for Labor Day Weekend. I can't believe the response this has gotten, I'm glad to have a year of good reviews. Much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts