Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Master of Scaremonies
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang - Johnny Thunder here with an update on the seemingly abandoned plans for the "reimagining" (ok ok - remake) of another of the classic Univeral monsters - the Creature From The Black Lagoon.

In a new interview with Collider, Gary Ross, producer/writer, indicated that it has not yet found financing, a studio, or a director, but he believes the project will gain some legs in the next year.

He has also indicated that it is not going to be a campy interpretation, but a pretty faithful adaptation of the original classic.

As for the Creature's look, Ross said that he has not decided whether they will go the CGI route (please don't - for the sake of all of us - just dont) or have a live actor in the rubber suit.

Yes, I know so many people are tired of Hollywood's endless string of remakes at the expense of new ideas and writers/directors, but I love the classic monsters. Just as I am looking forward to The Wolf Man, I would also not mind seeing a new Creature on the big screen.

Stay tuned to this thread for further updates as they come along!

Gary Ross gives an update on the remake of CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
There's a whole generation of potential Horror fans who've never seen "The Classics". Let's hope they do well as re-makes.

·
Registered
232 Posts
yes stay true to the first film i beg you! do you guys remember years back when John Carpenter was talking about doing this film? that would have been great! hope they stay away from the CGI was well on this one

·
Master of Scaremonies
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Mr. F --

Picking up on your comments on The Wolf Man thread - the latest word is that the Gill Man (if the film moves out of its current state of development hell) will be a mix of CGI and a rubber suit. Apparently word is that the underwater stuff will be CGI and the land scenes will be a live actor.

Apparently they are waiting to see how The Wolf Man does this fall before green-lighting the Creature remake.

I will also be talking about this on the next Hauntcast :)

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
The new Wolf Man has some marquee names and high production values. If The Creature wants to compete, they better have a big budget. I hope they both hit it out of the Park.

·
Master of Scaremonies
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Yeah..looks good. Close enough to the original to be acceptable to the majority of us discerning classic horror fans, I would guess.
To me, it looks kind of Harryhausen influenced, the black and white photo reminded me somewhat of the Ymir in "20 million miles to earth".

What I'm not too sure about is the use of CGI for the underwater scenes...
The underwater scenes in the original were beautifully choreographed and filmed and really went a long way to making the movie a classic.

I guess there is nobody worthy to fill Ricou Brownings flippers out there at the moment.:rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts