Halloween Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found these great shaped 2-part Easter Eggs at DOLLAR TREE the other day and want to use them to create several nests of creature eggs for my haunt. They are 7 inches long, about 4-1/2 inches wide and maybe 3 to 3-1/2 inches high plastic (didn't measure this dimension), clear on top, with a flattened bottom so they don't roll. Lots of room inside to hide lighting or unhatched creatures. I like these so much and see so many possiblities for them that I'm going to see if I can buy a whole carton of these eggs from DT.

First project: Creature eggs--a) If I want to make them dinosaur, gator eggs, etc. where you don't need to see inside, what do you guys suggest to cover the outside to texturize and paint it?

b) If I decide to turn them into alien or creature eggs that are glowing or pulsating (so need the top somewhat translucent), any suggestions for how to coat the eggs so the light can still be seen? I figure I can do a simple LED bulb circuit that can sit completely inside the closed egg.

Second project: Bug Eyes--while holding the eggs with the wide part at the top I thought these would make great giant insect eyes to mount to a giant insect body form--maybe it will be AntMan--a science experiment gone wrong. The eggs have a nice curvature for the cornea. I figure I could use plastic paint spray on the bottom colored part of the egg to make it the insects body color and drill a hole in the bottom of the egg to add a lighting source to illuminate the eye so the mechanics would be wired inside the insect head and not visible through the eye's cornea. Thought I could use the same technique to finish the clear top of the bug eye as I do for the top of the glowing/pulsating creature egg tops. What tool should I use to make the hole for the LED bulb? I've never drilled through plastic before and don't want to ruin the egg.

I know plastic can be a bit tricky to work with so really appreciate hearing your suggestions.

I'll come back and post a better pic of the egg later this afternoon.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Not sure what kind of texture you want on the eggs but maybe clear silicone caulk would help. I remember years ago someone mentioning putting it on light bulbs to make them look like flames. It can be mixed with those acrylic paints to color it but I have no clue if it will still be see thru...might try a light green or yellow and remember it stinks bad and sets up fast so you need to be quick :)
I can't wait to see your antman...would you believe I actually have an ant AND a fly mask...lol!
I have never used them and recently it hit me to make a dummy in a white lab coat with the fly mask and have him caught in a giant web...not sure the kiddies would get it tho'
I am still stumped on what to do with the ant mask......

·
Registered
14,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback Deadna. As for the texture, I guess I just don't want them to look like plastic eggs if you know what I mean. Would like to hide the seam but maybe in the dark of a night haunt it wouldn't be a big deal. Maybe texture isn't the right word either. I need to change the egg color for sure and maybe a frosted look that would be translucent enough for light to emit through would be fine. Just not sure what product to use on plastic to get this look. I'll experiment with smearing some clear silicone as you suggested and shine a light behind it to see how that works. I picked up another 8 large DOLLAR TREE eggs yesterday (bought 6 the previous day) and want to save 2 for the bug eyes. If I need more eggs I figure I could make those, they wouldn't glow most likely but I don't think I would want that look for all of them anyway.

Your ant and fly masks sound right up my alley. I like your haunt idea for the fly mask. I was thinking about old horror movies the other day and fondly remember "Them!" and "The Fly" and so was thinking of making some props inspired by the movies. Next year I will do a mad scientist lab and will use the flies pictured above in one specimen jar and then construct a transformer chamber where there will be a human fly to scare the kids. I have a fly mask picked out but still haven't bought it yet. Antman could be another experiment gone wrong if I go that route.

For my haunt I'm not sure if my ant will be half ant and half man or not yet. If I don't have an actor I think I might just make it a huge ant not unlike some of the giant spiders with PVC pipe I've seen on the forum. I was thinking of a maze area where the kids will see the egg chamber first and then run into "Mother".

·
Registered
14,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m laughing so hard now re-reading this thread. I had just done a search for “dinosaur egg” to see how people created theirs and had to laugh that this thread came up and I wrote it! Today Amazon just delivered a dozen plastic easter eggs to me I ordered that are 4-1/2” in width by 7” high, similar to the Dollar Tree eggs above. The above thread was from 2010, so some 12 years ago, and I have absolutely no idea what happened to the apparently 14 eggs I bought at DT years ago. But sounds like I’m the proud owner of 12 more!!

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,214 Posts
@Ghost of Spookie

In addition to where the first batch of eggs went, the other real question is whether the texture question was ever solved to your satisfaction? :)

I know I'd be tempted to go with 3M Super 77; it seems to me that it would be the perfect light texture for a shell, and has the added benefit of drying clear if there is still a goal is to allow some light through.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts