Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are doing a science lab for tots this year (our second year to do anything at all). After watching the Creature Shop Challenge, we are wanting to make some sort of little creature (think lab rat, but not a rat...just some sort of critter). We would like for it to have some movement, and for the eyes to move, similar to the small critters that were showcased on that show. Problem is that we have ZERO idea where to start. Does anyone have any recommendations for places to get information on how to build a critter like that? We have extremely limited knowledge about making props, but we are wanting to learn!

Oh, and you guys are incredibly talented and I have already been learning from you for several months now, so thank you!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have tried Google and YouTube for help, not to mention the many hours spent trolling this site, but, I don't even know what this type of creature would be called, so my searches result in large animatronics of skeletons and witches OR results on hand puppets. Neither of which is what I'm looking for. Maybe a combo of the two on a smaller size.. I just can't figure out where to start.

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,672 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hello Lady Dy. I suggest that you search for servo animatronics. This should help you find info on how a lot of the movements are done for smaller props or parts of props. This is a pretty involved project for a beginner. It can be done but it will probably require some patience on your part. Another method used is a cable driven system. Have fun and good luck!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both!! That is exactly the type of thing I was looking for! I can certainly adapt that raven to a critter, especially with the information from the other projects. Thank you again!!

·
Moonlighter
2,593 Posts
I remember watching a video of this guy building Halloween props using the insides of those cheapy animated stuff toys you can buy from Walgreens - like the silly singing bears at Valentine's day that play a song. He basically ripped the covers off, and just took out the voice button so it wouldn't sing, then what you're left with is the moving parts and the frame already built. You can then dress it up to make whatever kind of monster you want. There's a video of him doing this and he made one in like five or ten minutes. Looked really easy to do and turned out very cool and creepy looking. I can't seem to locate the video right now, but maybe the guys over on the prop building thread might know about it. Hope that helps.

·
Moonlighter
2,593 Posts
Yes, that's exactly the video I saw, thanks Horrorman! It's a really good way to make moving creatures for those of us that don't have the tech-savy skills to build animatronics from scratch. And they look really cool when you "freak" them up a bit. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that is the kind of simple that is right up my alley!! I found a $4 stuffed toy at Walmart tonight that was just begging to be re-made from a graduation gift card holder into some sort of lab critter! Thanks guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
Lady Dy
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing