Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking about making a creature crate, but i want to know if it would get good reactions. i have a motor that will slowly open and close the lid and i want to put a zombie in it. so do u guys think it would get good reactions????
Thanks

·
Shadow box dancer
1,393 Posts
i was thinking about making a creature crate, but i want to know if it would get good reactions. i have a motor that will slowly open and close the lid and i want to put a zombie in it. so do u guys think it would get good reactions????
Thanks
I think people will think it is cool. It might not startle people though. You might need something with a little more oomph if you want to scare people.

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
For a good startle on a limited budget...you can always use a bumble ball inside the box. You have to make it motion activated or trigger activated though. You do that by making the bumble ball, which runs off batteries (dc), run off an ac electrical plug. Once the bumble ball with cord is complete you can attach it to a motion sensor or remote controlled outlet.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
I'd love to see a how-to on remotely triggering a Bumble Ball. I tried to do that a few years ago, and the power switch/battery holder design made it darn near impossible. The battery pack actually rotates around in side the ball - the batteries are the counterweight that makes it dance. The only way I could see to do it reliably would be to replace a portion of the central shaft with a rotating mercury contact ($$).

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
I did a large and a small crate last year.Both were very popular.My large one was a faster moving one but caused a better effect to me.

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
I'd love to see a how-to on remotely triggering a Bumble Ball. I tried to do that a few years ago, and the power switch/battery holder design made it darn near impossible. The battery pack actually rotates around in side the ball - the batteries are the counterweight that makes it dance. The only way I could see to do it reliably would be to replace a portion of the central shaft with a rotating mercury contact ($$).
I thought about doing it this year, but after just looking at the ball design, Holy Cow! I agree! I have no idea how I could change it to electric current without the cord getting all tangled inside/or yanked out. It looks a little very challenging if not impossible. Crap, I guess I can mark this one off the "list".

I wonder if a sound activated version was ever made!?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sounds like you're making something close to a Monster in a Box (MIAB). I made one for last season using an upsidedown jig saw to bang the underside of the lid. Didn't have a creature inside, but it rattled and shook like all hell and lit up red.

I'll post the link of pictures when I can find it.

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
I built one using a slow speed gear motor and a cam as the cam rotated it slowly lifted the lid then the lid suddenly dropped or slamed shut giving the tots a startle. The first year I put it on the walk upto the house but most passed it by and didn't get the full effect unless they just happened to be there at the right time when the lid slammed shut. So the following year I move it to the front porch where everyone would stand and wait for the door to open and get their candy...this worked much better. Here's a short clip

·
Shadow box dancer
1,393 Posts
I don't know if this is what you are looking for. It is pretty fast(and it can be adjusted to be faster or slower) and it is fairly loud. I had one similar to this in 2008 and got most of the TOT's pretty good. :D This year I have it on a remote so it can be pretty random, but not like if it were an air cylinder.

YouTube - crate comp2

1 - 14 of 14 Posts