Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little stuck on how to do this. Unforunately, my house is not quite an ideal set up for a haunt, so im having to improvise by creating a maze of sorts inside my garage. So, i want to know if any of you know what methods are best for creating passages and rooms. I've thought of black tarp, and using pvc pipe and wooden "x"s below them for support as a frame to place the tarps on. Anyone have a reliable method to do this?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I am using 4'x7' hardboard paneling (its 4x8 but took 12 inches off) and 1x2s for the frame. To attach the panels together I am screwing 1x4x7s across the seams and across the top spaces of the walls and L brackets to attach to the garage walls themselves. Should be extremely sturdy once I am done. Price for all wood/brackets/glue/screws for 17 walls is 250. Its a little steep in price but considering every year my home/yard haunt keeps getting bigger in size and popularity with the neighborhood its worth it. I'll be posting pics HOPEFULLY soon.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds awesome. I'd love to see that. However, i'm unfortunately a little low on funds for this year, so i guess i'll have to stick with a pvp pipe frame, with black tarp as the walls and ceiling. I want to create a feeling of tight spaces in my haunt, so i don't really have much of an alternative.

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
The black plastic and pvc should work. You can use small pieces of 2x4 as the base to secure the pvc walls so the will not tip over.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah that was my plan. I was thinking of creating small X shapes of wood to secure the pvc. Then, i will have length of pvc running between the poles in the ground at the top, for ceiling support. I think that this will work, thanks for the help.

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
We did something similar with the black plastic, but by tieing knots in the plastic at the corner of each piece. Then tieing cord below the knot and attaching them to the ceiling letting them hang. In that way there are no trip hazards and the walls could never be knocked down, only moved when the occasional freak out happend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Garage is finsihed, but I bought a bunch of 3/8" Eyebolts and put them in various positions throughout my Garage, then I use cotton Clothesline (3/8"?) and string it through the Eyebolts every which way I can go-then I throw black plastic over the Clothesline and tape it to the floor, and then I put black plastic over the top of all of it and stuff it on the outside. I use black Duct tape to tape everything down. I've done it this way for Years and it works great, the only down side is that it's tougher to hang things. I'll tell you waht though-it's so dark you can't see your hand in front of your face, and you can use glow in the dark paint on the plastic-

·
Registered
97 Posts
Plastic walls do work well, I use them to, but has anyone had a person get really scared going thru your Haunt and go busting thru a wall?
I have had this happen, they broke a prop, and messed up the wall, had to close for a little bit and fix it all.... I'm just glad no one got hurt!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
We've used plastic walls in the haunted barn portion of our hayride for many years. We only had one problem with a 13 year old hoodlum. He brought in a small box cutter and cut a nice slice through 1/2 of the walls of the barn before he was caught. We have local police in conjunction with our volunteer security. He got a free ride from the PD and his parents got a call to bail him out. It took a few rolls of duct tape to repair the walls. Thankfully he was cutting as he was walking, not slashing everything he could. :mad:

Since it was a Juvenile Court matter, we never heard the outcome.
Poor misguided little @!**%@#$8#$!

Eric

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry i've been gone so long. I haven't had a chance to answer any questions. My plan is to have a kind of tunnel system, like a maze made of tarp, but with a ceiling. Pretty much my last problem is figuring out how to put the tarp on the frame. I have thought of running one part around each side and then another on the roof, or using a few sections running from one side, up over the roof, and down to the other side, secured with duct tape. How do you do it?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've done the same as Clad in Shadows except I got the cardboard from a local moving company. By law they're not supposed to re-use those mattress cartons. My wall sections are about 55" x 77" if I remember correctly. I do put a cross brace about half way up to support the center of each wall section. I used these wall sections outside for about the first 4 years and when we expanded used them in the garage. I've had them for 14 years now and they're still usable. Some sections are double sided with cardboard and some have black weed blocker cloth on one side. Of course, the cardboard and weed blocker is just stapled to the 1 x 2 frame. You can also use cardboard for a ceiling to hide the overhead garage storage area, also...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Walls still being built, Ill post pics soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts