Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i have been asked to do a tutorial on how to create singing pumpkins and singing busts. I am not an expert at this but I have played around with it a bit so I will pass on what I do know and maybe folks here will be able to have a starting point to improve their displays.

This tutorial will be in two (2) parts. The first part I will explain a little about using FaceGen to create a singing bust. The second part I will explain how to use CrazyTalk to import what we have created from FaceGen and make it sing.

The creation of a singing pumpkin is primarily created with CrazyTalk and not the FaceGen program but the idea in CrazyTalk for the busts and the pumpkins are the same so I hope you will be able to understand the basics.

IMPORTANT: I am not the creator of the singing pumpkins and I have no intention of stealing the creators idea so please forgive me if I do not use his pumpkins to demonstrate.

You can find CrazyTalk here > http://www.reallusion.com/crazytalk/crazytalk_trial.asp
You can find the FREE version of FaceGen here > http://www.facegen.com/downloads.htm

NOTICE: For this third tutorial to work for you, you need to have completed http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-step-step/117299-creating-projection-animated-characters-part-2-a.html

I am going to start this third tutorial with something a little fun and freaky. Then I will take you into the heart of CrazyTalk, getting your character to come to life.

If you look to the left side, a little down past half way of the program screen (still in the MODEL tab), you will see an eye and lips icon.
30_pumpkin_demo.jpg
We are going to play with this for a few minutes. Click the eye and a new window will appear, EYE SETTINGS, that will allow you to add some eye balls to your character that will move.
31_pumpkin_demo.jpg

You need to make sure that their is a check mark in the APPLY EYES box.

As you can see, their are a number of eyes to choose from. You have 5 categories of eyes in the drop down menu above the eyes. I am going to keep it somewhat normal by selecting #5 Human. Play with this and change the eyes around. Accross from the check mark I told you needed to be checked is another option, EYE MOTION PREVIEW. Click the button and when you move the mouse around, the eyes on your character will follow.

The radio buttons at the top of this window allow more additional modifications. I have MODIFY selected so that I can change the color of the eyes to better match the character. In this you can see that I have create a black and white or grey version of the eyes by changing the HUE, SATURATION and adjusting the CONTRAST.
32_pumpkin_demo.jpg

Abe is starting to look alive now.
33_pumpkin_demo.jpg

Ok, now on to the lips icon I mentioned above. This is going to open a new window, MOUTH SETTINGS. I am going to give Abe some fangs.
34_pumpkin_demo.jpg

As you can see I also changed the HUE, SATURATION and CONTRAST settings to help blend the colors of the teeth to match the character.

In this window are four arrows. You can use these arrows to move the set of teeth around. I have found that this is needed sometimes to make the teeth sit in the mouth in a more realistic fashion.

Their are a number of other settings as well but for a basic character, this is about all that you need to do. Now Abe is looking better.
35_pumpkin_demo.jpg

Play around with these for awhile and see what you can come up with. You can get some pretty crazy looking results.

Ok, now that I am done playing with Abe, it is now time to give Abe a voice. You will want to select the SCRIPT tab at the top.
36_pumpkin_demo.jpg

This is not as scary as it sounds. Its as easy as point and click for the most part.

First off, lets take a look at the bottom of your screen.
37_pumpkin_demo.jpg

This is your timeline. Everything you do on this window will be put down here. You can see that their appears to be room for four (4) characters but only one is visible. Yes, you Disney Singing Bust Fans, you can create ALL your characters here.
quartet_1.jpg

That will be in another tutorial though so to keep it simple, we are only going to worry about one character.

To keep this tutorial rolling, we are going to add a voice track to your character. I am going to use a sound file that is already in CrazyTalk so that you can follow along. Since this is supposedly for Halloween, lets select the SCARY sound bite from the script library to the right. Just double click and it will show up in your TimeLine.
38_pumpkin_demo.jpg

WAIT!!! Thats too friggin easy! Yep, that it is. Now press the PLAY button below your character and see what happens. Dont forget to press STOP when finished.

You could save this now as it is and you could be finished.

Here is the video short of Abe as he is now.

You can see that this video is a little out of bounds. His mouth opens too wide and breaks through is chin. Dont be discouraged about this as this is the default movements from CrazyTalks render.

In the next tutorial I will show you how to calm the mouth movement and add other facial animations that will make your character look more real and perform better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
fmcaninch,

I was disappointed that you stopped your tuts in this series. I'm sure there are others out there that feel the same way. Please accept this post as a nudge to continue this series a little longer. Yours (tuts) were just what I was looking for, I am planning on adding the singing pumpkins or the busts to our haunt this year and had been searching for some simplistic and straight forward tutorials on accomplishing this goal. Yours fit the bill perfectly. Pleeeeeeeese continue.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I apologize for the delay. I will get on the next tutorial asap.

I am glad to hear that it is being used.

I am a Truck Driver and the only time I get is when I am finished driving for the day. This last week has kept me with very little time at the end of my day. However I will get it going.

Thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
YAAAAAYYYYYY!!! I am sooo looking forward to the next step in the process. This is just too cool.

I apologize for the delay. I will get on the next tutorial asap.

I am glad to hear that it is being used.

I am a Truck Driver and the only time I get is when I am finished driving for the day. This last week has kept me with very little time at the end of my day. However I will get it going.

Thanks

·
Registered
491 Posts
I can not thank you enough for the time you are taking to show us how to do all of this. Have been wanting to learn this for the longest time. I already have singing pumpkins but it's just one song and after about an hour of hearing it over and over again, i want to turn it off. Now I can add to the loop.
THANKS AGAIN!!!!
-Z

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
CreepyCreations
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing