Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i have been asked to do a tutorial on how to create singing pumpkins and singing busts. I am not an expert at this but I have played around with it a bit so I will pass on what I do know and maybe folks here will be able to have a starting point to improve their displays.

This tutorial will be in two (2) parts. The first part I will explain a little about using FaceGen to create a singing bust. The second part I will explain how to use CrazyTalk to import what we have created from FaceGen and make it sing.

The creation of a singing pumpkin is primarily created with CrazyTalk and not the FaceGen program but the idea in CrazyTalk for the busts and the pumpkins are the same so I hope you will be able to understand the basics.

IMPORTANT: I am not the creator of the singing pumpkins and I have no intention of stealing the creators idea so please forgive me if I do not use his pumpkins to demonstrate.

You can find CrazyTalk here > http://www.reallusion.com/crazytalk/crazytalk_trial.asp
You can find the FREE version of FaceGen here > http://www.facegen.com/downloads.htm

If you have viewed the first part of this tutorial then this second part will complete it. However if you have not then what we do here will will still work just fine.

This tutorial will introduce CrazyTalk. This is a fun facial animation program that will allow you to take a 2D image of any kind and animate facial expressions. Imaging using Freddy Kruger to welcome your guests or create singing pumpkins. Your imagination is the limit.

I am going to use the original Abe Lincoln bust from the last tutorial in this one.
-1.jpg

When CrazyTalk opens, you will see a blank canvas and a tab at the top will be darkened letting you know you are in the PROJECT tab. What we want to do is select the MODEL tab to the right of that.
13_pumpkin_demo.jpg

You will now see a verticle list of icons on the left that allow you to import media, and do some detailed adjustments. We want to select the IMPORT IMAGE icon 14_pumpkin_demo.jpg at the top of this list.

Locate your image you wish to load and now you should see an IMAGE PROCESSING window open with your image.
15_pumpkin_demo.jpg

You are going to define or tell CT where the head is located in your image. You can also change some of the images colors here but all we want to do is drag a box around the head for now. When you are done, you will see a check mark and a circle with a line through it at the top right of your image. Select the check mark.

You are now presented with another window, FACE FITTING. Here you will define the corners of the eyes and the mouth. You may also need to readjust the rubber box around the image to look similar to the one on the right.
17_pumpkin_demo.jpg

When finished, select the PROCESS button at the bottom.

Now a new window, FACE ORIENTATION, is displayed. This gives you a 3D wire that you should move around so that you can place the 3D nose shape over the images nose.
18_pumpkin_demo.jpg 19_pumpkin_demo.jpg

What I did was pull the wire to the side a bit so I could see the shape of the nose. Then I moved it back to align the bottom curves of the nose to where it meets the top of the lip.

You can PREVIEW your progress by selecting the preview 20_pumpkin_demo.jpg button near the bottom of this window. Then move your mouse around the screen and you will see the larger image start to respond. When finished playing, select the stop button, same place as the preview button, to go to the next step.

Now click OK to continue.

We are going to go over to the left of the screen now to refine the facial features. The more attention to detail, the better your character will turn out.

Up near the top left of the main window, you will see three eyeballs. We want to select the third one.
21_pumpkin_demo.jpg

You should now see something like this appear.
22_pumpkin_demo.jpg

I find it best and more accurate to use the ZOOM option at the top right of your image.
24_pumpkin_demo.jpg

Zoom it in nice and close so that you can apply as much detail as you can to define the locations of each one of the facial features such as the eyes and eye brows I am showing here.
25_pumpkin_demo.jpg

The wire frame will bend as you move the anchor dots around. It is not so much imperative that the dots remain in the same locations but to make the wire frame follow the flow of the image. Here in this edited eye, you can see that I have tried to get the wire frame to conform to the shape of Lincolns eye.
26_pumpkin_demo.jpg

Continue around the entire image, refining the wire and anchor points to best match your image. This is very important as the time you spend here will create a more realistic and better looking animation in the end.

If you look back up at the top left of the image window, to the right of the eye icons, you will see another that looks like a pair of lips. This will allow you to define the open mouth points. I have done this to help define the mouth in more detail. You may not need to use this option depending on your image you are working with.
27_pumpkin_demo.jpg

The wire lines and anchor points that you see on or near the outer parts of the face are to define the head and hair lines. As you can see I have moved them around to help enclose these areas better.
28_pumpkin_demo.jpg

Now would be a good time to select the PLAY icon near the bottom of the screen. You may be a little taken back at first as the face will start to move and the eyes will blink. You can see how you are doing at this stage and go back to make any changes.
29_pumpkin_demo.jpg

Ok, PART 3 is coming. I will have to stop for now. Have fun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hope youre still using this thread its great !!! i just joined and im wanting to learn more on making my own Face projections. Im reallying wanting to do a 10-15 min long 3 pumpkin face animation . Just courious if part 3 was put out i cant find it in the forums.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts