Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my sewing machine finally kicked the bucket. my rc parts haven't shown up for my wheelchair, so i'm on to the next project.

my hopes, to turn this curio cabinet and a gypsy spirt ball (large version)
into an antique fortune telling machine.

first order of business is getting into the spirit ball.

on the side of the black base, theres one visible screw. it prevents the globe from rotating.
now the black base has 4 tab's that hold the globe in place.

(i've jumped a couple steps in the photo, to show you the tabs)
the globe has 4 matching recessed area's.

once you remove the screw mentioned above, the globe can be rotated so these notches/recessed area's align. (look through the top of the globe to align)
once there in the correct position, just use a butter knife/screw driver to pry between the base and the globe at the 4 tabs (they pop out quite easily)
for the most part, each of the electronic's is held inplace with a couple screws (speaker,power jack,on/off,leds etc)

i wont be using the base, so i just cut the red and black wires that enter exit the battery compartment and twisted them together.

the motor has 2 main screws holding it in place. (one on each side)
however, theres also 2 pins that need to be removed.

just below the chin, you'll find 2 vertical screws. these prevent the pins from falling out of place. (one has been removed in this pic)

once the screws are removed, the pin's can be pulled out the front, releasing the entire assembly.

so there you have it, one gutted spirit ball.

i'll be making a trip to my fav. halloween store (value village-thrift store) to find a hidously tacky blouse and perhaps some jewlery.

curio's showng up this evening ($100 kijiji find) and i'm desperatly searching for an old $0.05 coin mech.

thats all for now, but hey, if you have a fortune teller machine (old/new or fake) i'd love to see it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i started the structure for my fortune teller and she fits perfectly.

so i was hoping for a little help.

i plan on.........
building a small round barn board looking table for the figure to sit on. (sorta barrel looking with table top) this will take up the space in the bottom.

if i can fit it in, i'd like to have a crystal ball and use the spirit ball led's to light it.

i'll add rows of small round incendesent bulbs to light the inside (flashlight/pinball type bulbs)

advertizing painted inside the glass (gypsy fortune teller,$0.05 etc)

tarrot cards and other strange items on her table.

obviously i'll dress her/give her arms/hands.
coin slot etc.

do you guys have any other idea's to help sell the antique fortune telling machine?
thx

·
the horror up North ...Eh
2,988 Posts
haunters will turn the nicest piece of furniture into somthing , i hope you do not intent to do anything to the structure of the cabinet or paint ...that would be wrong.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, sure its a nice curio cabinet, but........

a. it's not my style.
b. it wouldn't fit my home decor
c. i'm not a monitary kinda guy. value really doesn't make much difference to me.
and last but not least, i've always wanted a fortune teller. :p
i was going to build the cabinet from scratch, but for $100 that would barely cover the lumber and hardware.

originally i was going to try and maintain the integrety of the piece, but i'm beyond that now.

i'll be drilling holes in the back for power cords and lights.
the paint will all be on the inside of the glass (easily removed with a razor)
but i will be adding a coin mech to the front.

·
the horror up North ...Eh
2,988 Posts
i hope you dont find thats it was worth $$$ on antique roadshow or somthing that could have bought you a palace and you could have your own fortune teller , cool prop though may i ask what you paid for the cabinet?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the back of the cab says 1893 mariner,made in spain.

that being said, some of the construction is plywood.
with plywood being a ww2 thing and the lack of ware to the feet or any of the wood for that matter, makes me think its not all that old. (certainly not 100year+)
its also quite light. the doors and back are very thin vennered ply.
it is made with flat screws, so it does have some age. (not sure when they stopped using flat screws in spain.)

i figured it was spanish, i have alot of very detailed veneer pieces from spain (chess boards,tables etc)

i paid $100 for it, delivered.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Characters Unlimited has some really beautiful fortune teller machines. The price is crazy. They start at $4,500 for the cheapest one and go up to $6,500 for a deluxe one that has lots of movements. When I win the lottery the first thing I will do is buy one.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
had a lot of fun at value village.

i managed to get a crystal ball (glass bowl) bling,blouse,shrug,scarves etc.
i still need hands (stuffed gloves or actual hands), rings, grey wig and i'm sure a few other items.

found out all the bottom shelves are removable,so i won't have to drill any holes in the cab.

i removed the spirit balls head dress/hair to replace it with my own scarves/hair. i'm trying to hide the fact it's a spirit ball as much as possible.

tomorrow i'm gonna source out some small round light bulbs.
as far as arms go, one will be static, the other i'm going to hang/counter balance on the back of the elbow.

i'm hoping the shaking of the head will give the free floating arm movement.
(not a lot, but just enough)

i'm really looking forward to stenciling/pinstriping the inside of the glass and lighting the crystal ball.

speaker/power cord/censor and light wires all need to be extended, but that should be easy enough to do.

·
Scariest guy on the block
1,956 Posts
Wow! That looks great so far. I was thinking about a name plaque above the door on the cabinet kinda like Madame Pikipsie or something that lights up. Could you swap out the red fabric in the back and replace it with black fabric and maybe put the signs of the zodiac in LEDs across it? I dunno just thinking... But it looks pretty great so far!

·
Registered
13,618 Posts
Coming along really nice there. I'm envious--of your find, what you are doing with it, and how nice it's turning out. That will be a hit for sure. BTW how about Madame Zelda or Zora for a name?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thx guys, i'm having a lot of fun with it.

i am planning on covering the back with a velvet back drop, tarrot cards,zodia'c etc.
i even bought one of those $1 coin op voodoo dolls today. (i'll probably make a better one outta burlap)
found alot of other useful/cool items also.

picked up a glass snow globe for the crystal ball ($1 thrift shop find, which i gutted)
so i extended the blue/green led's that light the spirit ball face and put them inside. i threw a plastic bag in here to give it a spooky spirit (actually to help show the lights better.)

found a really cool siamese cat embroidered brotch. ($0.50)

it was the mother-in-laws b-day today, so i was outta town most of the day but i did get a chance to work on the arm.
its basicly 2 pieces of wood hanging from an eyelet. i'll take pic's when she's stripped down again (this is all just beta testing)
i pinned her headband to the glove, and batta bing batta boom, a moving hand.
i made a short vid for your enjoyment. :)
View My Video

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, so heres the arm.

its just a scrap piece of brick mold (i just replaced the doors on my home) cut on a 45 and 15*angle.
the forearm is just a piece of 1/4" ply (to keep down the weight/ help with balance)
i justed stuffed the glove (batting) to give the arm shape.

almost forgot, i found some great little 7.5 watt clear indicator lights at dollarama. (standard house socket)

i figure 1 $10-$20 vanity fixture from home depot (4-8 bulbs) should give me all the hardware i need to string these lights across the top of the cabinet.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thx

a little photo update.

i still haven't wired any of the lighting. i have decided to use the old flicker lightbuld i scored at the auction a couple weeks back.

new backin and a couple creepy items and the cabinet is starting to take on a new role in life.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i managed to wire up all the lights, including my vintage flicker bulb.

that bulb really is unusual. after a couple hours of being turned on, theres absolutely no heat.
even on the back of the knuckles, the bulb feels just like you pulled it outta the package.
and i was worried about it being hot.

shot a short vid so you could see the teller/flicker bulb in action.
View My Video

·
Registered
527 Posts
Looks great, and very scary! The only thing I see you may want to check is it looks like she is giving an obscene gesture with her right hand. from certain angles. Maybe make the hand into more of a summoning gesture, like come here or pointing directly at you with the index finger as in: I want you!

Pete

·
The Minister of Macabre
953 Posts
I am very impressed with this project! Not only is this very creative, but looks very authentic!

Excellent work icyuod!

1 - 20 of 130 Posts