Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(If this is in the wrong place, my apologies!)

So I wanted to try my hand at making a werewolf skin rug, and so I bought a taxidermy form for a bear. But then I decided it would be much more fun if I could wear the werewolf skin! And thus the wearable werewolf project was born.

While searching for inspiration on how to set about making this thing, I discovered this werewolf shrug created by an artist named Magpieb0nes on DeviantArt. Taking this idea but making it less animal mascot-like and more menacing, I did these sloppy sketches.

thing.jpg

I'm going for a combination of an animal skin headdress and hoodie.

So here's what I started with, a grizzly bear rug shell (with a silly face drawn on it).

1.jpg

2.jpg

With a saw and a dremel tool, I went about modifying the form to fit onto my head, as well as giving it more canine features. The nose is completely removed and will be re-sculpted. Foam dust EVERYWHERE. I wore a respirator and I still got some up my nose.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Fitting the glass eyes. I'm using taxidermy lion eyes.

7.jpg

I'm home alone at the moment, so getting it to fit right consisted of taking a lot of selfies during the carving.

6.jpg

Hopefully I'll look less like Goofy when it has teeth. ;)

Tomorrow I hope to start sculpting to build up the features. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had a full afternoon of sculpting. I used Super Sculpy to build up the features, and then baked it with a hair dryer.

Setting the eyes and sculpting the eyelids...

8.jpg

For the nose, I stuck in some armature wire, and then crumpled a bit of tin foil around it before adding the clay.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Added some snarly wrinkles.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Baking with a hair dryer did take quite a bit, but it seems pretty hardened. Later it will be all sealed for more sturdiness.

Next step will be sculpting the teeth. Won't be happening tonight, I need to rest my back after all that!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had a few hours today to start on the teeth. The armature wire is glued in with super glue. Sculpting the teeth out of Super Sculpy, baking them with a hairdryer as I go and then lightly sanding them.

Using a coyote skull as reference for tooth placement and shape.

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

I'm hoping to remove more foam from the inside to further decrease weight if I can, but so far it's not too heavy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The last two days have been productive...

Adding teeth...

20.jpg

Gums...

21.jpg

Lips...

22.jpg

To make the ears I first sandwiched armature wire between two pieces of thin craft foam with high temp hot glue. I them attached them to the head and shaped them until I was happy.

23.jpg

I then built them up with more layers of thin craft foam to make them more rigid and give them dimension.

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

Then came the painting. I decided to paint the entire head black just to help keep it together until I can seal it with epoxy resin.

27.jpg

The teeth are really not this white. They're washed out in this pic.

28.jpg

His ears are crooked. OH WELL. I tried.

29.jpg

30.jpg

My fur swatches from Mendels came!

31.jpg

Next up is sealing. Then I will create a pattern from which I can fur the head.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've wanted to build a werewolf trophy mount for a while and I'm totally blown away by your build. Fantastic work....can't wait to see it finished!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Same here; I'm anxious to see the next step. Thanks so much for posting pictures as you go along. It's wonderful to follow the creative process!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lovely work, Hagstone! I am absolutely stoked to see the end result. I like your use of the taxidermy gear. I also never thought to blow dry Sculpey. Do you have a preference for it over air dry clay, or was it just something you already had sitting around? Also, I noticed you're from Madison. I am from Huntsville. Will you be participating in any of the costume contests around town? You absolutely should. A lot of places shell out a nice little chunk of cash. Your costume would blow most of the participants out of the water!

Edit: Even your artwork is fantastic! I just checked out your website! :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts