Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this has been asked a thousand times around here. Forgive me please, I'm new.

So my boyfriend and I would like to construct a coffin this year. We have found numerous plans on the internet and visited Lowes to do some pricing. Realizing how much the wood costs, we may end up checking out a scrap yard instead.

My question is, does anybody have any plans they can recommend? Perhaps something that worked out well for you?

Is there a preference in wood? Anything to avoid?

The look I'm trying to achieve is just plain and old. Not going for the fancy vampire type here. However, there is a good chance I'll end up being the person lying in it so comfort is somewhat a factor.

Any links, pictures or advice you have to share is much appreciated! Thank you!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Here's the one I built using dog-ear fence pickets: http://scarefx.com/project_coffin.html I gather this is sort of a standard that a lot of people do. The price calculation is a little bit dated - it costs more like $40 to put together these days - but its still cheap and you end up with a very nice quality coffin. If you're going to lie in the coffin (as opposed to just having a static prop inside it), the ScareFX coffin would be my choice over a pallet coffin, as I'd be worried about sharp bits, splinters or nails that I missed removing from a pallet.

Once you've completed the build, you can age the coffin using tea, vinegar and steel wool. Here's a tutorial: http://www.instructables.com/id/Forcibly-Aging-Wood/ Coincidentally I was actually working on this this week, so here are a few pictures from my coffin. The cross BTW is $3 from walmart:

BEFORE

AFTER

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for the input! I appreciate it.

We acquired some $4 plywood at the ReStore last weekend. Going back soon to see if they have more....

·
Registered
910 Posts
I've built several coffins over past years (two for my own use) and the one thing i find on this site is the commonality of all of the coffin builds you see on here. Look at the examples in this post an study the interior of the coffins. What you will see is "connect points" where the boards meet which is in fact the "skeleton" of the coffin (pardon the pun). Take note of how the lids are built and the cut of the boards. If you do things right, you shouldn't have to make any really complicated cuts. I am not going to post any pics of my coffins on here for examples because the ones already posted are excellent examples as well. Trust me, there is a lot of talent on this site and if you need any personalized help, do not be afraid to ask......'Scruff

·
Registered
328 Posts
Check out Craigslist too for wood. Often times people are giving away scrap wood. Also, if you're going to be laying in it, put some padding in it and cover it with some distressed cloth.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All excellent suggestions. I thank everyone for their continued advice.

So far, we have spent $8 on this project. Someone on craigslist was giving away pallets over the weekend so we put as many as we could in the mini SUV. Then we spent yesterday afternoon disassembling them, my BF drew out the top pattern and after he made the first cut......FOOM!! The skies opened up and it started to pour.

Everything had to be put back in the shed until next weekend. Oh well.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,846 Posts
FTR, HVAC/Plumbing companies generally get more pallets than they know what to do with. Check with those guys locally if you need free pallets.

How do I know this? I work for an HVAC/Plumbing company so I know this first hand!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ALL DONE!!! (Well, almost. The building of it is done).

We used mainly pallets but ended up purchasing some lumber at Home Depot.

I'm going to stain it this weekend with tea. I also read online to use steel wool in vinegar so I thought I would give that a try.

coffin2.jpg

coffin.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts