Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using Spirits Halloween cream makeup (actually use mostly spirits makeup for our scare actors), now here my question and I hope somebody can help. I recently was given a air brush kit designed for spray on makeup (a friend in the theater industry who knows how big I am into Halloween), the only problem is I have no spray on makeup and I am not sure were I would buy or what type would work for paling someone and making them look dead (if anyone can give me ideas that would help). I have a good amount of spirits cream makeup (in all types of colors) can I use the cream makeup in a air brush makeup kit or do I have to buy all new makeup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You cant use your cream makeup in the airbrush. You have to get new paint. I normally use water or grease based paint and then i airbrush thinned down acrylics on top of that. Acrylics are waterbased paint, skin safe, but just to be sure, since its not intended for the skin, i all ways make sure i have a makeup base to start from.

Heres an example, base is cake makeup.

IMG_1110.jpg

·
Registered
158 Posts
You can also use liquid makeup from Walgreens or any other place. Just make sure you thin it with whatever is used for the base. Distilled water for water-based liquids, silicone fluid for silicone-based, etc. Don't try to thin silicone-based makeup with water, it will get pretty foul.

You can find out what the base is on most bottles. The cheaper stuff tends to be water, the more expensive silicone (though not always). This time of year you should have no trouble finding water-based liquid makeup in every color of the rainbow. Thin it down to the consistency of milk and spray away!

·
Registered
873 Posts
If you don't mind the expense there are a couple alcohol based airbrush makeups out there. They do a great job of covering, and do not come off with sweat or bumping into it. They do come off with makeup wipes, baby wipes, or soap. These are super easy to work with, but cost a lot more than acrylics. Alan Hopps mentioned he uses acrylics as makeup for haunted house cast. You might want to find his youtube videos on airbrushing.

You should get some experience using the airbrush if you haven't worked with one before. Passche offers a short tutorial consisting of 22 lessons. Might be worth your time to look it up. Have fun with the airbrush.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have 25 airbrushes. I say buy airbrush makeup and save your self the experimental headaches. The pre-formulated for airbrush makeup is finely micronized to flow with ease in your airbrush. Airbrushes can be temperamental. Right now a good affordable makeup is ProAiir .

I love the look show in this thread, but I venture your goal is to just airbrush, as doing so can speed up your makeup application time.
Practice and you'll love what you can create with an airbrush, good for makeup, costumes even prop painting.

·
Registered
873 Posts
pinkzombie is right on the spot.
I also use (and really like) ProAiir, which is one of the alcohol based makeups referred to in my previous post (European Body Art being another).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you guys for the replys i am going to invest in some airbrush makeup and make use of it for this coming Halloween, also i have used an airbrush for paint so i have experience with them (although it was not mine it was a borrowed tool).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Deadmansparty
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing