Halloween Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a simple way to make front door hinges creaky for just an evening? Preferably without resorting to sound-effects? 🦇

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,872 Posts
Sort of.

I'd make sure and do this on a REPLACEMENT part, not the original just so you can put it back together easily after you're done...

My suggestion: examine the hinges of the door, and remove one of the hinge pins that hold the hinges together. You'll want to take a thin clean cotton cloth and thread it through the hinge, trying to remove as much lubricant as you can to dry out the hinge, then use the replacement hinge pin (which should be grease free, but wipe it down if not) and put it into the hinge. The creaking is the sound of metal on metal - the sound of a neglected door on an abandoned house.

But to make sure to put things back properly, reapply some lubricant. This guy suggests either a light grease used for automotive, or white lithium spray aerosol. I would make sure to check for what works best for your door, but if you do go with anything aerosol, do the spray outside into a small container or paper plate and use the cotton swab to apply as he suggests, as it's usually messy (we use it for our garage door wheels/track/chain and it gets everywhere and STINKS so don't suggest spraying in your house!).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts