Halloween Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,403 Posts
Hi, Thanks for the post. It reminds me a lot of what I got at lowe's for my mail box post. I'll have to look at the package again. Sounds like a good product if you have time to let it set up. I would suggest that people start early this year. lol Four months, wow.

· Registered
1,403 Posts
I found the can in the garage. It's called Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty. Here is a description:

Sticks, stays, will not shrink. Coloring: putting dries to a natural cream color. Because of it's hardness, Durham's will NOT take most surface stains. It can be colored by mixing with a dry pigment, water-based stain or water-based paint. Do not mix with any oil-based material, as Putty may hot harden. Also available in 25, 50, and 100 pound containers.
Repairs furniture, patches plaster, fills knotholes in wood and molds strong figurines.
Directions for use: Area to be repaired should be free of dust, grit and oil. Pour dry putty into a clean dish and add water little by little, mixing as water is added until desired consistency is reached. (about 3 parts powder to 1 part water by weight). Prepare only quantity needed as it sets quickly. A small amount of vinegar or milk added to water when mixing will retard hardening. Press putty firmly into cavity, filling completely, smoothing off with putty knife. Try to remove any excess putty befroe it is thoroughly hardened. Allow to dry completely. If needed, smooth and finish with sandpaper.
Caution: (ok, I don't get this part since earlier it said that paint should be mixed in) Putty must be thoroughly dry befoe painting. Total drying time depends on size, humidity and temp. Putty will withstand weather if kept painted and sealed from moisture, however, on outside work, paint will peel from damp Water Putty. Puttyy is not waterproof and wil absorb moisture, as from underneath porch or deck floors and from condensation withint walls. Do not use in thin paint-like layers.

Personally, I think making headstones and such would work just fine. I remember that it was a light tan color when I poured it into a coffee can and added the water. I held it for about 30 min. total and then set it on it's side to cure. I had put the post of our mailbox into it and then put the powder and water in. I did this last fall and haven't had any probs. with the mailbox yet. It gets plenty of moisture since I have plants around it and am watering every week. Oh, and the small can was 4lbs and I think I paid about $30. I have to run to Lowe's today so I'll double check on the price.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.