Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we're all Halloween fanatics, I'm sure a few ppl have some funny/interesting stories to share on acquiring Halloween decor/props. I myself am one of those people. This is a longwinded story but one that I think you'll enjoy or appreciate so here goes:

During the 80's/90's there was a house/building next to a mini market in town that used to have 2 of the Telco Witch Fortune Teller Motion-ettes (1 in each window on either side of the steps/front porch) As years went by, the late 90's/early 2000's came around and the windows weren't being decorated anymore, so I assumed that the owners had long moved away or passed on.

One day, I was passing the building and I saw a sign in the window that said "apartments for rent" and then it listed a phone number. I thought if I called the number and wasn't inquiring about one of the apartments they'd think I was crazy. Being the determined sort of person that I am, I called the number and found out it was the mini market next door. The girl answering the phone took down my name and number and I hoped for a phone call from the owner.

A few days passed and I never heard anything from the owner, until one day when I received the phone call. I explained to the lady/owner that I saw the number in the window and wasn't actually curious about renting an apartment but if she remembered the two animated witches that used to be displayed in the windows every Oct. After a brief pause she said 'Yes." I was expecting her to say no and you're crazy lol

I asked her if she'd be interested in selling one and after another pause she said, "I will have to think about it. I've had them for years."
I told her that I understood and I had been a fan of the animated Halloween figures since I was a young kid. I offered her a nice amount of moolah and I think she was startled at how much money I was offering her. I said take a day or two to think about it and then let me know.

After about two days of waiting I came home from work late one night and my mom had a message for me. It was good news that the woman decided that she would sell one of the witches to me but that her son had to climb into the attic to get one out because they had a lot of stuff to move around. I remembering being so ecstatic about it and had my first experience at what it means to be a true collector/Halloween fan.

The day that I picked her up I had a nice conversation with the woman and I still remember it like it was yesterday even though it was years and years ago. Goes to show you what a little determination and curiousity can do.

Does anyone else have a story like mine or am I in fact, crazy?? :):D:cool:

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Here is a quick story because it's not halloweenie. As a teenager I would watch want ads for cars. I told my Dad about an ad I had seen several weeks now for a 1963 Ford convertible , but the price seemed wrong? "Dad,i think the ad is wrong and it is really a 1936 Ford.
IT WAS!
We bought it! The owner said how so many would drive up , take a look,shake their heads and drive away!
As it turned out, this was THE ONLY CAR my Dad EVER made money on!
I just wish he would have listened to my advice about the Used Shelby Cobra a Chrysler dealer had priced so cheaply (He didn't know what he had either! )
OH, WELL?
now, back to Halloween!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
A man I met at an auction told me how he had once won the bid and owned everything that was in the second floor of a little old building in a small town in Iowa.
All he really wanted were the fancy chairs from the Men's Club.. NOT the 50 or so skeletons OF the dead club members! In their upright coffins,looking out through those little windows!
He snatched the chairs and "Beat-Feet!"
Wouldn't THAT have been something for a haunted house!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts