Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah as you can tell, I bought the stuff yesterday to put on my witch face and 8 skull busts I've been doing from Stolloween's instructions. I covered them all yesterday and this morning they were ALL cracked and chipping. And the website even says it resists cracks!!

I used it on 3 different mediums. Paper Mache, blow mold plastic and felt. Everything is ruined. I'm so upset. This was months of hard work destroyed overnight. I don't have the time or resourses to start over again. I'm so upset I'm thinking of calling off halloween all together. :( I sent a complaint via email. Not like they're gonna DO anything.

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
oh Dragon, I'm soooo sorry!! :( Just take a day or two, walk away from it....then go back with a calmer, more clear mind - it won't seem as bad then.

Can you take a pic of what they look like, I'd like to see - and maybe we can give you some feedback, some tips on the next step?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Oh no :( I'm so sorry to hear that your props were ruined by this stuff, perhaps they can still be salvaged though? I agree with BevAnn, take a step back from them for a few days and approach them later when the initial upset has subsided.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,613 Posts
I had issues with that stuff and had the same problem, I took off as much as I could of the stuff and used paperclay. Paperclay air drys and if you need more time to work with it you can dip your fingers in water and use it to smooth your work and make the clay stay pliable. Once its dried, you can even sand it, it drys hard and lightweight. Its the only thing I could use that didnt get ruined, and you can put it on top of your crayola clay to smooth it out and fill in cracks, then build up from there. If you can post pics I might be able to offer more suggestions.

Creative Paperclay Co. - air hardening modeling materials for artists & crafters

Michaels sells it for $5-7 , bring coupons they help.

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
YAY kittyvibe!! See, dragon, it can be fixed! It'll all be ok!! ;)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Awww, Dragonomine, I'm so sorry to hear that the Crayola clay was terrible.

I think Kittyvibe has given you the best solution possible. Paperclay is pricey but wonderful.

I truly hope that your projects can be salavaged. Don't let this ruin your Halloween =)

·
Registered
613 Posts
I was told on another forum that you can fix the cracks in the Crayola clay by applying a mix of that clay and water to fill in the gaps and cracks. I've been playing around with the stuff myself and immediately noticed how dry their clay was straight out of a sealed package. My piece cracked as well, though not so poorly that it can't be salvaged.

This is one of the risks of air dry clay, though Crayola's the first brand I've used that cracked many days after it dried.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had issues with that stuff and had the same problem, I took off as much as I could of the stuff and used paperclay. Paperclay air drys and if you need more time to work with it you can dip your fingers in water and use it to smooth your work and make the clay stay pliable. Once its dried, you can even sand it, it drys hard and lightweight. Its the only thing I could use that didnt get ruined, and you can put it on top of your crayola clay to smooth it out and fill in cracks, then build up from there. If you can post pics I might be able to offer more suggestions.

Creative Paperclay Co. - air hardening modeling materials for artists & crafters

Michaels sells it for $5-7 , bring coupons they help.
I'll run out and see if I can find it thanks!

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
oh WOW!! your skulls are AMAZING!! you can NOT give up on those! :D

will be worth the extra expense to get the stuff kittyvibe suggested and try it!

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
No matter what you do, be it using paperclay, or filling in the cracks with moistened clay, whatever...

May I suggest that someone of your talent, someone doing that many pieces, invest in a small container of Sculpt or Coat?

Foam Coatings, Clear coats, Primers, Saturated Paints, Scenic Brushes by Sculptural Arts Coating, Inc.

I've just discovered the stuff myself, but a lot of haunters use it for clay and paper mache projects. Smooths, protects, seals and takes paint like a champ. There's a Sculpt or Coat thread in the Prop Building area here, just a day or two back, that I started, and I got a lot of good responses from the serious sculpt folk, people like Terra and Lauriebeast. It's been used by Stolloween, Grimvisions, Ghoul Friday and countless other crafty creeps with highly recommended results.
I'm sold on it. Give it a look-see.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
That's awful! I've had the similar problems using the air drying clay before. It worked ok when I put it on VERY thick, but otherwise it cracked and fell off. I hope you are able to repair and salvage them your work looks too good to go to waste because of a crayola bump in the road!

·
Ghouls Rule
2,613 Posts
Looking at the piccies, if you decide to go with paperclay, remove as much as the crayola stuff as possible, because if you just put anything over it the paperclay will break off on its own anyway. Like I can see a disaster waiting to happen on the nose on the headform. Once the clay hardens on the head pieces themselves I feel confident it wont fall off, just remember to work in thin layers and allow each layer to dry. Then you can sand em down or when the clay is still wet you can add a stippling effect with sponges and whatnot to the surface so youll have a cool skin texture. Id remove the horns on your skulls and either use paperclay to build them back up or buy sculpy clay in colors you like, roll em out an shape into horns, bake them, then attach to the skulls with a bit of adhesive to place them right. Add a little ring around them with paperclay so they will definitely stay in place, and finish out your skulls with the paperclay. I thin kthis is salvagable, and shouldnt take but a few days all together to allow for drying time between layers. Remember with the nose you may want to build that in layers as well or keep it supported with something as it dries. I had the same issue as you with a skull I did last year but this was on a plastic face so the crayola wasnt sticking as well. I eventually got it on but like you it cracked badly. I went to find paperclay and it saved my butt. I wish ya luck with whatever you decide to do :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I wish I would have seen this post before I bought this crap, and then spent hours sculpting with it! LOL

Yesterday I sculpted for the first time in my life. I am making a Weeping Angel statue costume via instructions posted by penwiper337 on Livejournal (and elsewhere).

I have never sculpted before, so I was really really happy with my finished product:

Then today I woke up and saw this (sorry the pic is sideways):

I was devastated. I worked so hard! Now, beings that the mask is for a "statue," I am not all that concerned with the actual look of the cracks...it's possible that this Weeping Angel is older or something. :rolleyes: See me trying to put a positive spin on a cruddy 'sitch?

I am concerned with the fact that I want to WEAR this, and with all the cracking going on, it's going to fall apart before I can even paint the thing let alone wear it.

Any suggestions? I read the suggestions to dragonomine above, and I am contemplating going to Michaels and buying some of the artist paperclay...I guess I am just not sure what to DO with it. I would hate to have to start all over with this.

I am kicking myself because I had the paper clay in hand and switched it for the Crayola at the end thinking there was more in the tub than in the box.

D'OH!

HELP!

·
Defender of Blucky Honor
1,051 Posts
Wow, Thanks for the heads up and sorry to hear that.

I use Crayola Model Magic. I always wondered what was the difference between the two. The Model Magic Stuff is great, I make hands and fingers for my Blucky's from it. You could use it to in the cracks pretty good. The stuff is easy to use and best of all, next to no mess.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I might have to try that...thanks! I appreciate your advice!

·
Ghouls Rule
2,613 Posts
Ive used model magic to make a Xena breastplate, the chakram, the backplate and the little scroll like pieces on her costume. It held up alright, but was easily chipped. The breastplate broke in the middle to I had to hot glue the pieces back and the back plating I made fell apart as well.

I think if your just using it to have a stationary prop that wont be handled or moved much it would be a nice choice.

The paperclay I mentioned before is similar to what your already used. Its like a kind of play-doh but more mushy. Keep a bowl of water handy to wet your fingertips. its really awesome to smooth out your clay once you have your design down and see it all forming nicely.

If you dont let it dry before putting more on top (like building noses, horns, ect) it can crack. If that happens, just let it dry completely for a few days, then fill in again with a thin layer of the stuff (wetted).

Your mask might be salvagable. Try either model magic or paperclay. Bring the 40% off coupon to get it cheap.

We bring alot of these coupons when we shop Michaels and buy our stuff, go to car, then come back in and buy again with another coupon, lol. Rinse repeat.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks, kittyvibe. I think i will do what you and BeaconSamurai suggested and try the model magic clay first and see how that works. I want to try and salvage the mask. If for some reason I can't, I guess it's back to the old drawing board. I'll start all over and use different clay to start.

I appreciate the suggestions, folks.

·
likes candy & razorblades
1,085 Posts
oh i learned the horrors of air dry clay the hard way. i formed a demon skull out of brown clay. air dry. it was a thing of beauty. i woke in the morn and it was cracked to hell.

i was so mad!!!! It didnt look too horrible cracked though really so i made a wash of elmers glue and water and filled in as much of the cracks as i could. that stopped the bits from falling off at least.

then i painted it. I just picked up some paperclay the other day after reading the forums im going to try that on an old porcelain doll and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts