Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think everybody remembers my first animated crawling skeleton I built back in 2005. It needed a double-shafted gear motor to make it work, which hasn't been affordably available for many years now.
I wanted to take the time to see if I could re-build it using two gear motors--one for each arm. This way, anyone who desired to build one would be able to do so with readily available parts. After putting this project on the back burner many times, I've finally got it completed:

I'm using two of the same $8.00 motors that were used in my tutorial for the Tombstone Peeper. Both motors are powered by a single 12 volt DC 500 milliamp adapter. These parts I ordered from Electronic Goldmine. All of the other parts can be found at Lowe's or Home Depot.
Using a single motor for each arm makes the prop even creepier in my opinion and gives it a more random movement. Since the motors turn at ever-so-slightly different RPMs, the arm movements are always changing. It's cool when both arms hit the ground at the same time and the skeleton kind of picks it's whole body up and lurches forward.

This video gives a view of how the mechanism works:

You can also attach the hips and legs of a Blucky skeleton to the end of the backbone if you want a complete skeleton crawling. I'm almost finished writing the tutorial on how to build this new version. I'll get it posted as soon as I finish it.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Dave i wish we lived closer so you could teach me and hubby to build cool stuff like this :)

the movement is totally cool .....

i just have one question(maybe a dumb blonde question) but what happens when he gets to the end of his electrical cord ?

·
Registered
293 Posts
No wonder I don't get to talk to you on the other forum anymore... LOL

Darnit Dave! I dub thee the King of Clever!!!

Maybe this is how the Vikings came to America! ROFL!!!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Dave, that is great! I love the movement. I got 4 of those motors when I was going to build your tombstone peeper. Uh, I never actually did it, still hoping to. Now I know what I'd like to do with 2 of them. But not for this year.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Looks great, Dave! I like that lurching motion when the motors sync up. I'm curious - what do you do when the skelly reaches the limit of the power cord?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Nice work. I would like to build something like that but I would want to be able to reset it back to it's starting position so I would have to go looking for it after a half hour. ;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey Dave this is really cool. I read what Otaku wrote and it got me thinking. If you put a swivel on a stake so the power supply could turn with the skeleton, and chained it to the stake would it pull itself in a circle? Kind of like those helicopters on a wire.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Makes me want to adapt him into an Alien form for our haunt. You win my best prop award!

You have to post video of the end product in its final resting place at night. Or as some ToT sees it for the first time.

SWEET!

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the compliments, everyone!
As far as what happens when the skeleton gets to the end of the cord--it will drag the AC/DC adapter behind it along with the extension cord. So, I guess it could go a far as your cord has slack in it. I normally have the skeleton plugged into a keychain remote trigger. So it's only powered for short periods of time. Like someone will pose for a picture by it, then i just hit the remote and start it moving! :)

scareisburg--These little motors have quite a bit of torque. If you used a 1 amp or 1.5 amp AC/DC Adapter you would get even more power out of it.

It's hard to say how long it took to build, since I shelved it several times. After I get the tutorial posted it shouldn't take too long. The hardest part to me is making the arms, rib cage and head. I originally wanted this chassis to fit in a Blucky skeleton, but it wouldn't have looked or worked right in that small blucky chest cavity.

Here's the links for the motor and AC/DC adapter I used:

Super Power 12VDC Gear Motor-The Electronic Goldmine

Heavy Duty 12VDC 500ma Adapter-The Electronic Goldmine

Brushe---I don't think it would go in a circle. It would probably get to the end of it's cord and just crawl in place! Then it would eventually dig itself a new grave. :)

I'll try to get some video this Halloween. I have previous vids of it, but they're not digital.

Maybe next year we could use the tutorial and build this in the Group Prop Build.

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
I wonder if you could attach a line to the crawler that runs back to a switch and when it gets to the end of the line it pulls it tight activating the switch and reversing the crawler. Or you could put it on a timer/controller and have it change from reverse to forward at a set interval...(as if we don't have enough to do before Halloween). However, the remote provides the absolute best timing for the ultimate scare!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts