Halloween Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I couldn't get out and about the day after Halloween, so I lost out on the Craft Pumpkin sales at Michaels. There are none to be had in ATL. Can we source these anywhere?

I see that the ones at Michaels (which I used) is made by "Ashland", but I can't find much on them, except that they supply Michaels with crafts. :mad:

I'm asking because I tried my version of the Rotting Pumpkin (from here) and I had a ton of compliments on it. I added interior lights, but no base, as we wanted it to be hand-held. Several of my neighbors said they'd purchase them if I made more, so I need to find a supplier.

pumpkin.jpg

Any ideas where else these may be available? I'm still beating myself up for missing getting these at $4 apiece.

Reactions: Silver Spike

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,353 Posts
I think many have tried, Gemmy makes some of them, but no one has been able to get through to anyone or anywhere to get a boatload. I'd love to buy a bunch of them throughout the year & work on them all year but it seems that it's not meant to be.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to start working the manufacturing channels. I work for an injection molding company, so I may have a talk with our engineers and see if they know who might be able to make these.

Thanks for the response, btw; I've been a lil' busy.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,353 Posts
No worries, it's that time of year where everyone is busy!

Good luck & let us know what you find out with your engineers. There's a TON of us that would love to have these off season.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have two leads on these pumpkins right now. As soon as I know if either one will pan out, I'll start looking into a group buy. Not sure how to handle it all, but I wanted to mention that I'm still pursuing this.

Reactions: Cwikhart

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dead leads. I've had absolutely no luck with any wholesalers. I even pitched a group buy guaranteeing 500 pumpkins, no go. Looks like I'm either using a continual 40% coupon and I'm stuck paying $18 apiece or I'm going to find another way to make the initial form. Starting a new thread about that on Wednesday night. I'm going to try beach balls, balloons and paper mache.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey there - I've worked for Michaels for longer than I care to admit....

Ashland is a private label owned by Michaels. You won't find them elsewhere, sadly. Lots of people ask me if Bead Landing has a website because they need massive amounts of the same bead, but I tell them the same thing; private label, try ordering through the website. Seasonal stuff if a one-time thing for us, though. Warehouses get filled up and release product to stores in less than 10 shipments, so within 2 months any given major holiday is clearancing out to make way for the next one. That's why we don't offer Halloween or Christmas stuff online.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey there - I've worked for Michaels for longer than I care to admit....

Ashland is a private label owned by Michaels. You won't find them elsewhere, sadly.
Very sadly. Thank you so much for "admitting" this! It's a real shame that they want the slow dime over the fast nickel, knowing these pumpkins only cost a few dollars to make. I'll still buy a few a year with my 50% coups, but now that I'm turning more to paper mache, I don't need to seek those pumpkins out as often.

I'm still going to speak with the plastics engineers at my company to see if this might be a viable avenue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts