Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, this is a whole new section for me! I never venture into the craft section!
But I'm desperate and that's why I'm here.
I'm awful with crafts! Anyone who received my handmade halloween card can attest to that!
What I"m good at is shopping! This is what I managed to assemble so far!
I need to make a funeral wreath for our funeral theme this year. As you can see, the wreath is there....along with some black ribbon and assorted artificial flowers I've managed to find along the way. I figure whatever flowers are leftover can be used for my creepy halloween garden.

So, how do I turn this mess into a cool funeral wreath? Did I even buy the right kind of wreath? I wanted a large one to display on a stand next to the coffin. This was the largest one they had. Do I need different kinds of flowers? Point me in the right direction PLEASE!

THANKS!

MsM

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
No, you can make a great wreath with what you got.

I can't tell if you have craft wire or not, but even with just the wire on the wreath, you can weave the stems in and place the flowers however you wish.

Most people try to avoid having too much balance, with clumps at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock, but arrange them as you see fit. With that hot glue, you can make loop after loop for a simple or a complex bow. You can wrap the entire thing, working the ribbon in amongst the flowers, or you can give yourself tails, or no tails, whatever you wish.
They aren't specifically funerary wreaths, but if you search the Halloween Crafts forum, you'll find a large thread of Halloween wreaths.
Great inspiration in that thread.

You can do this. You have a great set up.

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, you can make a great wreath with what you got.

I can't tell if you have craft wire or not, but even with just the wire on the wreath, you can weave the stems in and place the flowers however you wish.

Most people try to avoid having too much balance, with clumps at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock, but arrange them as you see fit. With that hot glue, you can make loop after loop for a simple or a complex bow. You can wrap the entire thing, working the ribbon in amongst the flowers, or you can give yourself tails, or no tails, whatever you wish.
They aren't specifically funerary wreaths, but if you search the Halloween Crafts forum, you'll find a large thread of Halloween wreaths.
Great inspiration in that thread.

You can do this. You have a great set up.
Hi Spats....thanks for the response. I have been searching for ideas for days! Not just here but also a google search for funeral wreaths. I just wasn't coming up with anything that used the same type of wreath I have so I thought I'd ask for ideas here. What's the name for that type of wreath? Its not a grapevine wreath.....straw wreath? lol If I knew the name, I might be able to use that as a search term.

So you are saying that I dont have to cover the whole things with the flowers? To cluster them instead? But don't do balanced clusters. And what about the wreath itself? If I cluster the flowers and wrap the ribbon thru the whole thing, you are still going to be able to see the wreath itself. Do I need to cover it with greenery or spray paint it? Can you even spray paint that type of material?

And yes, I do have floral wire and clips. I've done flowering arranging...especially at christmas. But it was always using that green stuff that you soak in water, put in the pot/vase and then stick in the branches, leaves, greenery and flowers!

MsM

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi MsMeeple!

I've never made a wreath before until this past week! I fell in love with Martha Stewart's design and followed her how to:
Halloween Silk Flower Wreath and more creative crafts projects, templates, tips, clip-art, patterns, and ideas on marthastewart.com

Attach roses (I used wire, not hot glue gun). Spray paint black. I added Dollar Tree crows to mine. I'll get some ribbon like Martha has on hers. See mine below:
Very nice wreath! I think yours turned out better than Martha's! The crows are a nice touch :)

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
So you are saying that I dont have to cover the whole things with the flowers? To cluster them instead? But don't do balanced clusters. And what about the wreath itself? If I cluster the flowers and wrap the ribbon thru the whole thing, you are still going to be able to see the wreath itself. Do I need to cover it with greenery or spray paint it? Can you even spray paint that type of material?

MsM
It's a straw wreath, and yes, you can leave it as is, or you can spray paint it. They even make floral paints if you want to find those, but regular black or green spray paint will do the trick.
Cluster the flowers a little or a lot. Leave some wreath exposed, or cover it completely. Use a bow and ribbon, or don't.

Have fun and make it look like whatever you want.

Now, on another note, if we're talking funerary or memorial wreaths specifically, those are generally green or white foam. Most are decorated with flowers associated with death - lilies, roses, carnations, ferns, etc., but other favorites of the family or the deceased are common as well.

They are usually mounted on a small tripod for display at the gravesite. If you want details on where you can buy one locally or what florists provide these types of arrangements, call the local florists - or the local funeral homes.
They may even have these three-legged stands at the local craft place where you bought all the other supplies.

What you have would look great on a tripod or laying on a coffin lid. There's no need to go buy a foam wreath back. There's also no need to buy lilies or roses, what you have will look great.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hahaha Spats, I think you are an art teacher I once had!
Do this....or not. Do that...or not lol I know...I need to feel the wreath right? Be one with the wreath? lol
Yeah, I was planning on putting it on a tripod. But I have that covered. Hubby is going to make me one out of scrap wood. The reason I bought that type of wreath is because it was the largest they had. The green and white foam ones were around half that size. Since its going to be on a tripod, I wanted a large one. If worse comes to worse, I'll have hubby cut a wreath shape out of wood and do it the martha stewart way :D

I know I just need to jump in and DO IT (otherwise we'll be eating in the livingroom till halloween since its taken over my kitchen table lol) but I'm SCARED! Its so out of my comfort zone!

But gonna take the plunge. Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the help :)
And by the way, what ever happened to YOUR wreath? You mentioned having a color scheme and flowers picked out in the wreath thread but never saw the end product posted there.

MsM

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh oh oh, look what I found!

And I really like this one! Might have to start all over!

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Spats,

I took the plunge :) It wasn't as painful as I thought it would be. Once I cut the stem off the first rose, it went pretty smoothly. This process has taught me that I"m not good with clustering and I need to pay more attention when buying ribbon. I was disappointed to find out that ALL the black ribbon that I had bought last year after christmas was the shear type. So I'm not happy with the bow but I think I'd give myself a C+ :D

After the funeral theme, I'm going to spray it black like cinders and add some skulls, crows, etc :D
Thanks for your support!

MsM

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
MsM - you did a GREAT job!!! Yes, the tips painted black will be cool, when you decide to do that. I do agree with you, a bolder bow would be a little better - just cuz it would show up better - but you did a smashing job!! :D

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks BevAnn :)

Geesh Pod, keep the coffins straight :) This will be next to our OTHER coffin...the one with the pneumatic dead uncle in it. Although I was considering making a second RIP wreath to lay on the coffin bar after all the drink is gone and only the 'dead soldiers' remain :D

MsM

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Sorry, MsMeeples, but that wreath is all kinds of kickin'!

You don't get to grade your work, we do, and I am comfortable giving that wreath a solid A-.
The minus is only due to your discomfort with the ribbon, though, and I am a Room for Improvement guy on all fronts.

Well frikkin' done!

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,362 Posts
Hallow Meeps!! I agree with Bev and all the rest!! It is lovely! As for the wispy ribbon - I like it - very "ghostly" if you know what I mean... I think when you go to spray the roses - let a little red remain to peek through in spots - gives it a richer texture and suggests a bit o blood.... BOO!

·
Girl Gone Mad
1,638 Posts
Very nice indeed! And I agree with SusieBoo...the ribbon isn't so bad.
A suggestion if you still have some of the ribbon? Use white roses next? Thinking the white roses with blood splatters. Will help the sheer stand out a little better.

But for a first try you have a smashing hit there!!

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Spats, si-coktic and Susie......you are all way too kind haha

Another thing I found out is that fake flowers are way more expensive than real flowers! Real flowers are dirt cheap here in Holland, but yeah couldn't find a large enough wreath circle for use with real flowers.
I ended up buying the flowers at thrift stores and even at thrift stores they weren't as cheap as you would expect! I'm going to use the extra flowers to make some creepy flowers for my window boxes...add eyes or skulls to their centers.

Today I'm venturing into town for the fabric market. Every tuesday they have stands on the open market square with fabric at reduced prices (I hope) lol
So I'll be venturing out of my comfort zone again to make a lining for the coffin. Got some good tips on how to make it from another thread. But sewing is sooooooooooooo not my thing! I had 6 months of home ec back in 19 hundred and something I dont want to think about. So know only the basics. But while I'm at the market, gonna look to see if they have notions and ribbons etc. for a better bow for the wreath.

MsM

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ms M, I think you did a great job on your wreath. I used to be a floral designer. I think its fabulous & realistic for a funeral~especially for your 1st attempt. Way to go!!! Good luck with the coffin lining.... I am so not a sewer either... I can't wait to see pics of that.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts