Halloween Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a new member to the forum but I have been reading occasionally here for years.

Several of the hard (plaster?) tombstones I have bought from Target over the years are forming cracks. Most are hairline cracks around the edge details, but some are pretty deep. I am guessing its because I have stored them in the attic and they expanded too much from the Texas heat. Any suggestions what kind of glue to use to keep pieces from cracking off? Or do you know what material these things are actually made of? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I had a similar thing happen. Eventually they came apart at the seams. I think it's because they're not designed to be in moist environments. Unfortunately, I don't have any solutions on keeping them together, but pictures may be useful to others to help see how they've cracked.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I only put mine out for Halloween day so they have little exposure to outdoor moisture and moisture should be pretty low in an attic. Here is a wide view and a closeup. The worst of the crack is on the right, but it is cracked all the way across following the ridge. I don't think it ever fell over on a hard surface, if it had, I think the skull would be damaged too. This is a 2011 Tombstone. I haven't looked through all my stuff, but I know I have at least one more that is several years older with some tiny hairlines cracks.

Helmet Stone carving Photography Statue Stock photography

Close-up Photography Macro photography Silver Rock

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I had thought about trying that, but worried since it expands and the piece isn't all the way broken off yet. If no one else has any other suggestions, I will try Gorilla Glue and some clamps.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Why not get some grout or something similar and then paint the crack black. Don't worry so much about the crack. Use it to better your haunt.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Gorilla glue seemed like to would work. Once you know their completely dry, I would Dry-Lok them to keep the moisture from getting in again and doing any more damage.

G

·
I always use moss over the glue or epoxy-whichever I have just lying around- to cover the area and add detail. I move alot and my stones get banged up all. the. time.

I even had a large Cross Tombstone snap completely in two! Was I mad! I just globbed glue on and held it together for quite awhile. It slid a bit and looked imperfect, but I didn't dare take it apart again. I got fake moss and glued it on the broken seam, and display it slightly tilted in the graveyard. It actually looks pretty awesome!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the caulk idea to deal with further expansion. Moss to hide whatever I end up using sounds like a great solution.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts