Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last few years, I have seen items other have purchased from Cracker Barrel, and I’ve picked up some things from there in the off season on eBay. However, I never had stopped in a Cracker Barrel for Halloween décor myself until last night. I wanted to share a story, and some photos. I think there is enough Halloween merchandise at Cracker Barrel to justify creating a thread for same. So I am copying and pasting my information I shared in the Halloween Merchandise Sightings thread here again. (Sorry if you saw this earlier, just skip over the text. LOL)

I wanted to share this story, as we are so quick to speak out when things go wrong with a retailer… I thought I’d share a positive experience.

I have three sons, two of whom have autism and my little guy is just... bonkers. haha I only have one day each month that I have respite care for the more severely disabled son. I never get to go into stores where there are displays that can be knocked over. My older special needs guy can't help it, he often walks into things and hits things with his arms. Sooooooooo I really never venture into places like Yankee Candle or NEVER into a Cracker Barrel Store. Yeep!

Well HF members have me tempted with the discussion about great Halloween décor there, and we were sitting at the stop light in front of a Cracker Barrel and had two of the boys with me, and I wanted soooo badly to go in, but knew without my husband with me, I just could not do it. Well, temptation won out, and I thought I would just peek in the door. Well, Friday evening at 5:00 and the Cracker Barrel was busy busy. I opened the door and was immediately going to leave with the boys. It was crammed full of people AND full of displays. Right then a lovely woman swooped in towards me and asked if there was anything I was looking for. I said I was wondering if they had Halloween out, and her whole face lit up and she said YES and started walking towards the back of the store… and my boys started following her, and I started to panic. LOL She was wonderful, taking things off the table and encouraging the boys to PLAY with the Try Me buttons. Just then another woman came out of the back (What? Do they have a secret 'We need help' intercoms?) The two women entertained my two boys while I got to take pictures and examine the merchandise. Of course I had to buy us each a toy! LOL Then the second women sort of nods her head at a THIRD woman up front (secret communication again?) and they opened a register and rang me up immediately. (There were two other pretty long lines already which I NEVER could have managed with the older autistic boy.)

They did this all with class, grace and such a friendly manner. I've been in stores, where they have made it no secret my flapping squawking autistic and wild sons were not welcome... but not at this Cracker Barrel. Amazing!! A really incredible experience.

OK, so onto the merchandise. I only had my phone, and I was rushing, so sorry for the blurry pictures. There is a variety of fun stuff there!!

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 3a.jpg

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Love the looks of that singing skeleton. Did you happen to see what he sings?
We did BUT we had everything going at once... so I can't remember what it was. I'm sorry. I do know I was tempted to buy him. So it must be good. :)

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did really like the singing animated pumpkin, skull and candycorn. I definitely want to go back and get one of them. I can't remember exactly what they were singing... but they are rubbery and kind of morph or move while they are 'singing' and the eyes light up. Definitely catchy for $20.

I also liked the bump-and-go ghost. The same mechanism as the vacuum and broom from previous years. A great idea, and I could see kids loving it. The only thing that turned me off is that it is color changing, and I know that is very popular, but for some reason, I'm not into the color changing thing. Other than that, it was funny.

·
Registered
276 Posts
glad to hear you had such a great experience--I feel like I get that great customer service whenever I go to Disney World. I love that there are still places that actually seem to care that you have the best experience possible! Best of luck with your children--and special kudos for you to dealing with the challenge!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
So glad to hear they were so nice to you and your boys...I haven't been in cracker barrel in years but this story alone makes me want to go....sure sure u think its cause I want that awesome suitcase (which by the way I can't wait to see the video on) ;) but actually I love recognizing company's with amazing character and heart :)

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
So glad you had a wonderful experience in the store, Hilda. That is a fantastic story and reminder that customer service is still alive and well, at some places.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks for sharing this story. I can only imagine how challenging it is to enjoy yourself and shop while trying to watch your boys. This was a really positive story and you are inspirational by just going for it. Something called you into that store at that time. We don't have Cracker Barrel's in California but I have visited the store and restaurant in other states. What customer service!

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I already have the Haunted Vacuum and Haunted Broom that Cracker Barrel carried in the past, and they crack me up. Halloween schtick at it’s best! A tiny bit scary for little kids, but lots of laughs. So I was curious when Ghost of Spookie pointed out they were carrying another new piece this year… The Haunted Suitcase. I have to admit, I almost balked at the $50 price, but once I got it home and started playing with it. My six year old’s reaction made it worth every penny. I can see this is going to be a hit with the kids, and I love that. I will pile it in with the luggage at the check-in desk of our haunted inn. In a darkened setting, I think it will blend in pretty well. It must work on a motion sensor that is hidden behind the fabric front. I can’t see it… but it does go off when you walk in front of it. There is a try me button on the top, and I was worried at first because there is a red sticker around the button, but it peeled right off. Whew! It also has a soft and loud setting so you can tone down the sound if you want. That is a great feature! What I LOVE about this is that sometimes it will whisper, and draw the kids in near the black fabric and then WHAM the face/skull pop out and light up and it delivers some one liners. Then it laughs at you as it draws back into the fabric. My son was in hysterics!! The voice does remind me of an old time stand up comic that has been trapped in a suit case. The face and hands bulge through the fabric and the mouth moves as it speaks as well. Really a unique ‘gag type’ scare. I am REALLY happy with it.

It has seven different sayings…
~ AHHHHGGGHHHH (face/hands pop out) Being stuck in here is making me CRAAZZZEEEEE! Boooowahhh haaaa haaaa (laughter)
~ Psssttttttt (whispers) Happy Halloween! (then face/hands pop out) ROWWWWRRRR (laughter)
~ Psssttttttt (whispers) I have a question for you. (then face/hands pop out) Trick OR Treat???? (laughter)
~ ROWWWWWRRRRR (face/hands pop out) Let me Out!! (laughter)
~ ROWWWWRRRRRR (face/hands pop out) I’m so tired of being stuck IN HERE. (laughter)
~ (whispers) Come Closer. (pause) A little bit closer. (THEN face/hands pop out) Ohhh hooo hoooo (laughter)
~ ROOOWAAAAHHHHH (face/hands pop out) Did I scare you?! HA HA HA HA (laughter)

suitcase (4).jpg suitcase (2).jpg suitcase (3).jpg
suitcase (1).jpg

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
DANG !! I love the look of that haunted suitcase but it came a year too late since I did the haunted hotel theme last year. Might have to get it anyway and have it sitting near one of the traveling freak show acts this year.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts