Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
The Kitschiest Kitsch
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any ideas for covering walls?

My plan this year is to have my living room be an abandoned haunted house theme, like throwing white sheets over the furniture and such because it's simple and my mood lighting/decorations will make it look super spooky.

My issue is the walls. In particular I have one wall that's covered in 20 pictures in frames and I really don't want to have to take all those down.

Any ideas as to what I could drape on the walls to still give it that spooky effect? Fabric? or Should I just not be lazy and take all those pictures down? The pictures are a kitschy collage of sketches, paintings, and musicians/artists I like. I could definitely leave Tom Waits and Francesca Woodman on the wall ;)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
my first thought is hang drapery to make it look like a parlor or even a theater stage.
I will keep thinking on this one.

·
The Kitschiest Kitsch
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a picture or link of what you mean? I think I know, but just to make sure I'm seeing the same vision...
Thanks for the reply:)

my first thought is hang drapery to make it look like a parlor or even a theater stage.
I will keep thinking on this one.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
There is a tutorial somewhere for damaged plaster walls (u take black poster board and wood grain contact paper {you can find both at Dollar Tree} what you do is cut the contact paper into strips to look like wood lathing then affix it to the poster board. The poster board should be torn to creat a jagged edge and simulate the appearance of the wood lathing behind fallen plaster). As for your pictures just leave them in the room, add dust and some webs, maybe tilt one or two...you could even print off some old black and white photos that are kind of creepy to replace the photos with.

·
Registered
672 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
It didn't really take me that long. I have 3 full-length tablecloths (going vertically down) across the top and then I taped the next three below those and just cut where the floor molding began (about 1/2 of the tablecloth) and used the rest to go over the door. I used double-stick tape as that seemed to hold best.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you were doing a Dexter theme you could cover the walls with plastic sheeting - right over the pictures. I don't think that would work for a haunted mansion look though. I am doing haunted mansion this year as well, and plan to drape black tulle across the ceiling in all different directions, tying it onto our center chandelier. Also throwing in some purple for effect. Maybe you could drape tulle over or around the photos as well...

For your sheets covering your furniture, don't forget to stain them with tea to give it an aged look. You can either soak the whole thing, or put some in a spray bottle and spray them.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I take down everything such as family pictures, and even framed art, wreaths...anything except permanant fixtures. It's like moving once a year!....Gives me lots of room to really knock out the theme!
Covering walls...I've used plastic table cloths from DT to completely black out a smaller room....we use black tarps to black out the walls in the garage.
Creepy fabric cover the curtains.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Well, when I've kept some of my artwork up, I've done several different things...covered the artwork w/ white sheets or spooky cloth, covered it in webs, or just taped poster over it, or some picture I found online. Dollar Tree and 99cent stores used to carry some vintage looking horror movie posters and those are what I have used on the past to cover my art. Worked out great and quick to do! :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
I too have a lot of artwork and photos -- I print out art work to go with the theme I am doing and put them over the pictures I have on the wall. I do not take the existing pictures out of the frame. I use glue dots to attach the "halloween" pictures directly on the glass of the artwork/picture frames. I drape creepy cloth over artwork with canvas and tilt the pictures to make them look out old. I also use the creepy cloth to cover alcoves, niches and my window treatments. I drape tulle on the ceiling and use creepy cloth or cheese cloth on my chandeliers. Check out the corrugated card board and background papers from Stumps Party they have several different patterns. http://www.stumpsparty.com/event-supplies/background-materials/corrugated-paper/47445

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/kimb1023/Famous%20Hollywood%20Monstars/Once%20Upon%20A%20Nightmare/DSC_0309.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/kimb1023/Famous%20Hollywood%20Monstars/Once%20Upon%20A%20Nightmare/DSC_0133.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/kimb1023/Famous%20Hollywood%20Monstars/Once%20Upon%20A%20Nightmare/DSC_0084.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/kimb1023/Famous%20Hollywood%20Monstars/Once%20Upon%20A%20Nightmare/DSC_0016.jpg

·
Registered
74 Posts
In the past I've used scene setter on the ceiling and the walls, but it is a huge project, takes me about 800 push pins and several days................the effect is outstanding but it's really a lot of work. So, I have also used creepy cloth, tulle and sheets, all which work great. Don't be afraid to use other colors of sheets like black, burgundy, red or gray---they are great for draping and can be arrange to look like curtains or drapes. I find mine at the thrift store. If they fit my bed, I can use them later, but most of them get saved to reuse year after year--I always drape my furniture regardless of the theme of the party.

I really love the idea of printing out pics and placing them right over the glass. You can change all or just a few to create and "odd" family setting if you want.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you really dont want to take everything down I would go with covering the wall with black sheets or landscape fabric, it makes the area darker and creepier. If you REALLY want the abandon feel take it down and do the wall covers. I needed the same thing last year and there were a TON of ideas on here how to do it. I just ended up covering my house in butcher paper then taking those sticky mats that you roll in your cabinets...I covered the house in that and peeled. So it really looked like the "wallpaper" was peeling backing showing the walls. We used the boarded up window idea (which is also on here) its looked pretty cool to me. (Im a noob to such things so I was excited lol)
Good Luck and let us know what you decide to do. :)

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,827 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Hi! Another suggestion for you - Ikea sells a product called Dignitet curtain wire, and it's pretty inexpensive. If you have an Ikea near you, here's what it looks like:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60075295/

You can even turn corners with it by buying an additional support piece. This is also something you could do yourself with some really strong fishing line & hooks. You could then hang fabric, tablecloths, sheets, etc from the wire with minimal work or wall damage. Something that could even be fun would be to dangle purple lights from the curtain wire and then hang a more sheer-type cloth in front of it for an eerie glow.

Hope you'll find a plan that works for you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey there, maybe in the future holloweens you could hang up some sort of plastic sheeting or even regular material sheets. If you wanted, you could even hang the two pictures (the Tom Waits and Francesca Woodman) over the sheeting by just marking the area the nail was embedded onto the sheeting and once the sheeting is hung up you could nail the pictures to the spots without leaving new holes. That way you could have an easy look that has some decorations on it. I hope that made sense! Good luck!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts