Halloween Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I dont know how this would work but, we have landscape lighting that uses halogen bulbs. uplighting downlighting etc.. i would like to use the down lighting especially but i was wondering if your could "cover" the lamp with a coloured film or similar to change them from white to , say, blue or red
Thanks everyone
Ken

·
black light queen
2,640 Posts
yeah, my initial thought was what j-man said ... but since i've never used color gels, i have no idea how much heat they can take b4 melting ... if they're far enough away from the halogen bulb maybe they'll work ?

amk

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've had direct contact with an led melt gels before (led in my landscape lights). Not sure how they would hold up to halogen, but if it is outside the lens it might be ok. I had mine inside thinking the LEDs wouldn't hurt them. Guess I was wrong about that... Lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
They melted gel sheets in about a day. I switched over to LED bulbs and no issues. Plus I wont have to worry about changing them out for a decade.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've used gels to cover my halogen uplighting for several years now with no issues. I have red, blue, and green but tend to lean towards the red due to brightness. It's a much better way to utilize these lights in your haunt than replacing the bulbs with colored ones!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've never used gel covers before, because I usually just buy the colored halogen (flood) or LED bulbs I need.

Now is there a difference between using a white bulb, with colored gels...compared to just buying the colored bulb you want? Do they last longer? Colors more vibrant? I'm just curious if it's worth making the switch.

Thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies everyone. the lights i have are landscaping up and downlighting spots, and i cannot get coloured lights for them. I plan on switching to LED but at $75 a piece X 10 it has to wait...:) as for heat, these things get VERY hot and quickly as well. in the winter there is not snow in about a 6inch radius around them. I had heard of gels before but was hoping someone has had experience with them. My nephew works in the movie industry so hopefully he can get me some.. Thanks again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts