Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year's haunt at our house is going to center around a witches coven making mischief in the middle of a graveyard. Since we have done graveyard scenes in the past, I have no shortage of tombstones, statues, ground breakers, etc. However, since the center of attention will be focused on the ceremony taking in the middle of the cemetery, I could use some ideas and suggestions on how to make the scene even more creepy. What has been planned so far is that we will have 4 standing figures dressed all in white (like virgin sacrifices) with gauze covering their heads so that the only color to be seen will be from their blue LED eyes and the LED candles they will each be holding. There will be a fifth figure, but this one will be dressed all in black, except for his red cape and will be wearing a devil's mask complete w/12" horns. His LED eyes will, of course, be burning red. All of the figures will be placed in a circle around a very large foam skull that will have a silk flame bowl burning in the middle so that it looks like there is a fire burning within the skull "altar". That's pretty much all I have going on, and I don't think it's creepy enough. I would love to hear from other haunters who might have had similar scenes in the past and can offer some suggestions. I don't like a lot of gore, but I'm okay with expanding on the macabre and scariness of the scene.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I haven't done a scene like this before but when I close my eyes to picture it, I'm thinking lighting will be key. Dimly lit areas with maybe other creatures lurking in the shadows, with the main focal lighting being on your coven. Cats, owls, ravens, a demon or 2 peaking from behind a tombstone. Just a few ideas that came to mind.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
Our witch coven scene from last year. Hope this helps somewhat.

Lots of skeletons, rats, vultures, snakes, bones, dead tree branches with Spanish moss, tree stumps, etc... We used 4-5 tombstones to help set the scene and just added a lot of "witchy" elements.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Icepick. I have to admit that lighting a scene is definitely not second nature to me. Do you recomm4end lighting the coven itself with red lighting and the surrounding graveyard in blue lighting? Should the lighting on the coven be from a strobe light? I also love the idea of hiding a couple of demons is plain sight.

Jdubbya, I love the scene you created, and I hadn't thought of using my vultures around a bone pile in the graveyard. Genius! Where did you get the huge ugly frog character?

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
Thanks, Icepick. I have to admit that lighting a scene is definitely not second nature to me. Do you recomm4end lighting the coven itself with red lighting and the surrounding graveyard in blue lighting? Should the lighting on the coven be from a strobe light? I also love the idea of hiding a couple of demons is plain sight.

Jdubbya, I love the scene you created, and I hadn't thought of using my vultures around a bone pile in the graveyard. Genius! Where did you get the huge ugly frog character?
The big frog is called Toad Lord. Halloween Asylum carries it. It has great detail and makes for an impressive element in the right scene.

http://www.halloweenasylum.com/toad-lord-prop.html

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW, Kev! Those are some excellent spooks! I really love the first guy, but don't know if I can make mine look as cool.

Does anyone have an idea of how to make a creepy scarecrow? I thought that would add some wicked ambiance to the whole scene.

·
Registered
287 Posts
WOW, Kev! Those are some excellent spooks! I really love the first guy, but don't know if I can make mine look as cool.

Does anyone have an idea of how to make a creepy scarecrow? I thought that would add some wicked ambiance to the whole scene.
Those arent any dummies of mine, I have just seen them on this forum or elsewhere and I have a file on my computer with many categories and pictures according to them.

Here are some scarecrows:

9.jpg This one is mine

Scary Scarecrow.jpg

Stalks.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts