Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to add some dimension to my graveyard this year so I made a couple of larger stones. The first one is a cheap crate from Michaels, skinned in foam. I added a wooden cross applique (also from Michaels) and topped it with a cherub garden statue. I still need to age it a bit but it turned out okay.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The second one is going to be the centerpiece monument. I got to use a few props I had hanging around and combine them to make a nice showy piece. The main box is wood frame skinned in foam. This will sit on a large piece of two inch foam and be topped by another piece of two inch. The gargoyles are from Target and sit on smaller squares of foam. The sign is a cheap foam piece from A.C., Moore and the reaper bust is one of a pair I bought a few years ago from Spirit.

I'm thinking of painting it with Fleckstone Granite to really make it pop. Will try different lighting schemes to see what looks best at night. Hope to have more pics soon.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW! Excellent use of those. Way to make store-bought look totally custom!
Thanks PE. Yeah, I've used each of these things individually over the years but thought they'd look cool as one big prop. I'm happy with the way it looks. I'll add some vines or Spanish moss to creep it up a bit. I'm keeping it so it will break down in pieces for storage. Just have to set it up when I'm ready and add the gargoyles and reaper.

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Very impressive. The size of the tombstones are great and I think will look very imposing in a graveyard...spooky. Terrific idea of using the crate as a base. You have great ideas!

I came up with some aging techniques that I think look better than Fleckstone and is waterproof. Here's a link if interested: Halloween Forum - Terra's Album: Ancient Tombstone Tutorial

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very impressive. The size of the tombstones are great and I think will look very imposing in a graveyard...spooky. Terrific idea of using the crate as a base. You have great ideas!

I came up with some aging techniques that I think look better than Fleckstone and is waterproof. Here's a link if interested: Halloween Forum - Terra's Album: Ancient Tombstone Tutorial
Thanks Terra. I'm honored that you weighed in on this, given your outstanding stones. I like your aging technique. Sadly I'm a graduate of the school for the artistically challenged. I'm not afraid to try it but what would you suggest given I painted the foam with a dark gray latex paint already? I'd planned to use this as a base coat for the fleckstone but am open to other suggestions. Thanks!

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
The color you have now is the perfect base for the aging technique. Now, all you have to do is dry-brush with the whiter gray, add some dry-brush strokes of the raw umber and if want, a couple of sponging hits with the very white. That should be all you need. I used some Fleckstone on my fence posts and liked it but I would go ahead and try the aging technique first. If you don't like it, either cover it up with the fleckstone or repaint and then hit it with the Fleckstone.

Again, I really liked your ideas. May have to steal them for some pillars for next year. ;)

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The color you have now is the perfect base for the aging technique. Now, all you have to do is dry-brush with the whiter gray, add some dry-brush strokes of the raw umber and if want, a couple of sponging hits with the very white. That should be all you need. I used some Fleckstone on my fence posts and liked it but I would go ahead and try the aging technique first. If you don't like it, either cover it up with the fleckstone or repaint and then hit it with the Fleckstone.

Again, I really liked your ideas. May have to steal them for some pillars for next year. ;)
Awesome! Thanks for the tips. If my stones turn out half as nice as yours, I'll be happy.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are the finished products. Thanks to Terra for her finishing tips! The large monument turned out great. The smaller one was a good practice project and it looks okay for it's scale. They really stood out in the cemetery on Halloween night.
Before the final finishing after a coat of Drylock;

The finished monument

and on Halloween night

The smaller one

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those turned out great! I absolutely love your idea of using chains in the set-up.

Thanks to you for the great finishing tips! The drylock works like a charm and really gives a nice base color to work with. I dry brushed on some dark gray and then hit it with a spray bottle which gave it an old runny look. The smaller one I just used a sponge and dabbed on the dark gray over the taupe and it looks okay.
The chains are a standing joke here! I'm addicted to these things and buy them at K-mart every year for 4 bucks a strand. I literally have a large tote full of plastic chain but I use them throughout the display for detail. I love 'em! LOL!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts