Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Bog Body
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i finished the new and improved countdown sign for this year. it's hung and pretty. it came out great. the bottom edge is a little more than 10 feet off the ground. i made sure it'll would take some superb effort to steal it this year. last years sign was stolen. but not again. the black light is inside the hood. it's chained to the tree. it's high up. the cord is screwed into the tree. i think it's pretty secure }=D the letter are super bright orange posterboard that reflects blindingly in the blacklight at night. the letters have velcro on the back of them to attach to the sign. i'll take pics tonight with the blacklight on and post them.

what do you think?

day shots:

from across the street

right up under it

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hahaha nice! I would love to live across the street from you. Everytime I would look out the window Id be so excited lol

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Bat, that is really nice, what are those letters, 8" high? The kids will...just a sec, what's that? ONLY 36 DAYS LEFT? Gotta get out to the Workshop!

·
Registered
263 Posts
That is awesome! And can I just tell you that your front door and that big old tree are high on the spook meter! The shape is great...I'd be painting that door black...the whole house would look great black as well...

...course, I tend to paint everything black. I'm sure the next time I show up to buy another gallon of flat black at the hardware store, they're going to lock the doors and pull the shades after I leave...

·
Bog Body
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh forgot to mention, i was off by 2 days. it was 38 days till halloween. i changed it shortly after the pics were taken. now it's 37 days. i sprayed the letters and numbers with clear coat spray paint stuff to seal them. worked great! about ot get some night pics soon as soon as the people a few houses down's party dies. i always feel like a dork photografing my stuff at night. =P

·
Bog Body
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so i fell asleep before the party a few houses down did last night =P but i bring you night time pics no less =D i made them into animated gifs to show with and without the flash. the camera made it look a lil funny without the flash, but black light stuff and cameras never really get along. all the cars are slowing down to read it as they pass. you can see this sucker from FAR away! and yes those are 8 inch tall letter }=D i've already had one kid ask "37 days till what?" and then a reply of "SWEET!" after i say 'halloween.' i can hear other kids as they pass saying "cooooool it glows" and "can't wait, what it will be like this year?"

oh joy!

i'm very pleased!!!

·
Bog Body
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
not much to make at all, the wood is left over from the coffin. had some spare 2x4'. the blacklight was $10 at walmart. would have paid the extra for a 4 foot one instead of 2 foot one in hindsight. some screws and wood glue. was pretty simple. orange posterboard was about a buck or two. 2 cans of black spray paint another 2 bucks. and the clear coat wat liek 2 i think also.

·
Mistress of Darkness
1,689 Posts
not much to make at all, the wood is left over from the coffin. had some spare 2x4'. the blacklight was $10 at walmart. would have paid the extra for a 4 foot one instead of 2 foot one in hindsight. some screws and wood glue. was pretty simple. orange posterboard was about a buck or two. 2 cans of black spray paint another 2 bucks. and the clear coat wat liek 2 i think also.
Okay then, it's settled ... you're hired! When should I expect it? Who do I make the check out to?

What? You thought I meant that I wanted to build it???? No way, I just wanna buy it. LOLOL!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Love the sign,
what font did you use?
if those letters are 8" high and thats a 2' BLACKLIGHT.
What is the total length?

·
Bog Body
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the words are spaced more than the font is supposed to be for clearer reading from a distance. i also looked at the *.psd file and the font is actually 10 inches tall! some numbers and letters are wider than others also, such as the d and 7. you can imagine how thin a 1 is. there's also some inches on the edges past the words and numbers. the sign is 4 feet long.

i can't remember what font it was, but here is the very printer friendly photoshop file i used. (click link, then select save to disk when promted) just show only one layer at a time and print. don't print the red lines layer or the baground, they are just guides. if you dn't have photo shop, PM me and i'll email them to you as jpg's. =)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
17 Participants
alucard
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing