Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

If you visit us via PC, you might notice a new Halloween countdown on the main forum page. This new clock is a code hosted locally so we no longer have to rely on someone else updating or linking to other pages. If you're interested in the code to host similar for your own blog or website, give me a PM.

Looking for feedback. too big, too small, ugly as hell, why isn't it blue, whatever strikes your fancy. Let us know what you think.

We're exploring the possibility of getting it in the logo's font as well.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,773 Posts
For me, the countdown clock is something that has just been there and has been part of the site. It's subtle and works. I think if you hadn't mentioned it, most members would not notice changes to it.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,840 Posts
For me, the countdown clock is something that has just been there and has been part of the site. It's subtle and works. I think if you hadn't mentioned it, most members would not notice changes to it.
I dunno, this one is bigger than the old one. I noticed it. That's not a complaint, just an observation.

·
Registered
13,895 Posts
I noticed it as soon as I logged on. Pretty big and bold but doesn't bother me in any way. I personally prefer something that doesn't run any animation like dripping blood that could mess with memory on your computer and keeps running in the background, and it does just what it's suppose to - tell how many days. Of course most importantly the days listed be accurate which was my feedback a while back on the one the site was running which wasn't accurate. Like if we can't get it right that's pretty sad....:eek:

·
Super Moderator
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I noticed it as soon as I logged on. Pretty big and bold but doesn't bother me in any way. I personally prefer something that doesn't run any animation like dripping blood that could mess with memory on your computer and keeps running in the background, and it does just what it's suppose to - tell how many days. Of course most importantly the days listed be accurate which was my feedback a while back on the one the site was running which wasn't accurate. Like if we can't get it right that's pretty sad....:eek:
That was part of my thinking in bringing it on ourselves. We've always relied on a third party in the past. If they screwed up, we look bad.

This one will sinc to your calendar, so will be accurate if your calendar is.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I noticed when it was missing and I noticed it now that it is back. I like the larger size as it is hard to miss, which is good for me because I lose track of days so easily anymore.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
For me it's just big orange text. I won't lie I loved the old dripping blood font one and wish I had saved all of them instead of just a few.

324days.jpg

Closest to today I have. I mean I could MAKE them for the whole year in photoshop or find the font.

·
Super Moderator
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
For me it's just big orange text. I won't lie I loved the old dripping blood font one and wish I had saved all of them instead of just a few.

View attachment 531241
fClosest to today I have. I mean I could MAKE them for the whole year in photoshop or find the font.
Unfortunately, the drippy blood one was hosted offsite, and they no longer support it.

A series of images would be problematic and cumbersome to code, so don't waste time on photoshop. The forum owners are looking into a more custom font, and was top of my requests as well, but that is out of my hands (barring me getting access to the ftp server...). If you KNOW what font the old one was done in, (and the owners can figure out how) we could have a vote on which one to use.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,840 Posts
I now see a glowing JOL with the count underneath no matter if I'm logged in or not.

Is there any chance we can get a lighter background one day? The black background is, um...pretty obviously not work stuff when one is at work.:confused::D

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,840 Posts
Please don't make the board light unless there is a dark option. Light boards give me a headache to read.
I agree on the options. It doesn't even have to be a zillion variations, just 2 would make me happy. This dark & a lighter "work friendly" one. I don't even want white, just a lighter grey, blue, green, just not stark white, I don't like those much either.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I agree on the options. It doesn't even have to be a zillion variations, just 2 would make me happy. This dark & a lighter "work friendly" one. I don't even want white, just a lighter grey, blue, green, just not stark white, I don't like those much either.
Grey is fine as long as it isn't WHITE WHITE. The black/dark grey is just better for the subject matter though.

·
They call me HeebieJeebie
2,006 Posts
I like the countdown. (after I went and checked that is was the same days as the one on my blog!)

I haven't noticed before - does it do phases of the moon, too? There appears to be a sliver of a moon peeking out behind the JOL right now.

A lighter screen option would be nice, because like RCIAG, I'm ~not~ checking the forum while at work!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts