Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys! I am planning to do a frightening forest of fairy tales party this year and I have been thinking a lot about whether to require costumes. I love costumes of course and I always encourage them but I hate the idea of turning people away because they aren't wearing a costume. Of course, it would also be great if they were to wear a costume that goes with the theme, but not everyone has the money or time to plan a specific costume. So, I was wondering what you do? Do you require costumes? Do you require theme costumes? Or just go with the flow?

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I hate when people don't show up in costume but as you said they may not be able to afford it...so although everyone knows I encourage costumes they also know I'm more concerned with just having them in attendance. That being said I always have an area with past costumes that they are free to borrow :)

As for themed costumes, I try...but out of 4 parties only 2 years have people done themed. I've noticed both times were on years were homemade costumes were easy to do (zombie and pirate)...every guest came in theme....

So that being said if it's a theme to which most costumes will need to b store bought to match the theme....I just express that any costume is appreciated...then on years like this year (luau) I say come as whatever costume u want but throw on a hawaiian shirt, lei, sunglasses etc. On years like this it's easy to theme accessorize.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the idea of having a costume area for those who show up un-attired! Thanks!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I cant really say what to do for parties because ive never thrown one (though im dying to do one) and I know nobody would show up lol (always happens, no biggie).
I know a lot of people here as an incentive for dressing up make trophies for best costumes. Its a cool idea.

Reactions: ooojen

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
We always require costumes, and they do not have to match our theme. The theme is just for me to stay focused and challenged. This year will be our 18th Annual Boo Bash without repeating a theme.

Costumes are required, but people do have an out. We let people know that coming without a costume means you must be blindfolded and take three items out of the dreaded "BOX O' PARTS" Da da dummmmm. It is a black cardboard box with a skull and cross bones on it. Inside are various costume and accessory pieces that are very random. One might pull out a long blonde wig, a pair of groucho glasses with nose, jewelry, cat eats, bunny tail, etc. One couple actually came without costumes to experience the "BOX." The results were hilarious, but it was only one couple in 17 years of Boo Bashes.

Eric

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Personally, I would never, ever turn someone away because they didn't come dressed up. I can understand the viewpoint that if you, the host, went to the effort of throwing the party, they should be able to put in the effort of dressing up. However, you never know for sure where someone is in their life, and what might get in the way of their putting together a costume. If I like them well enough to invite them, they're welcome as they are...though perhaps they might get a makeover.

I got busy and didn't get this instituted last year, but I generally do similarly to pumpkinpie (ed.in: and Wolfbeard). I've got a box of misc. stuff-- hats, wigs, cheap cape, fairy wings, boas, comic glasses -- mostly stuff they could wear comfortably for the evening. I appoint a couple assertive friends to be the dressing committee for anyone who doesn't come in costume. It can actually be pretty fun and funny to watch, and it takes the pressure off anyone who has trouble coming up with a costume for whatever reason.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I always say they are required on the invites, but I don't turn people away if they aren't wearing one either. I have unfortunately found that people that show up to my party without one aren't very receptive to wearing something forced upon them either, but that might depend on your group and how much peer pressure you can put on them. In general, if they don't wear a costume and they won't play the games and they are a general party pooper they will not be getting invited back next year. If you don't want to be at a party then I don't know why you bothered coming. I don't buy not having the money, you can put together a costume for free or very cheap and they had a months notice or more. If they really wanted to come and needed help I would be happy to loan them something or help them come up with something. I put months and plenty of money into my party, so I don't think it's unreasonable to ask them to make a little effort.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I always put "Costumes Encouraged" on the invites, about 2/3 of the guests wear them. The rest seem to all wear jeans and black tshirts.

·
Registered
394 Posts
#1 rule is costume is a must. Doesn't have to be elaborate and I've had some pretty simple ones. I've also posted alot of simple pinterest ideas that are cheap and easy, so no excuse for no costume.
I know that probably makes me sound horrible, but if I went through all that work for the party, that is the least my friends can do. Everyone has always come in costume for the last 3 years we've had a party.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'll never understand why some people have an aversion to dressing up but they do. Last year I 'playfully' insulted them as they came in and I referred to them as 'those people' all night. Several of them are still laughing about it but they assured me that this year they would indeed be dressed up. LOL. I too would rather have them attend if I cared enough for them to invite them. Party onnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!! Lol.

GiggleingGhost . . . aka . . . GG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts