Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specifically, I'm looking for suggestions on how to make hands/gloves with long spindly fingers like the below photo.
I've had these gloves for years and I'm on my second pair. They're not manufactured anymore so it's a little hard to find replacements now.
I'd like to make something similar for when the current pair are no longer usable. They're basically fabric over bendy wire so the fingers are somewhat flat.
I know this should be something simple but I have no idea where to start or how to make them into gloves.

8144940889_a25647439b_n.jpg

Larger image

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'd first start with a pair of gloves and then attach the finger extensions to them. If you want them to last for years I'd use leather gloves and find a matching thin leather to wrap the finger extensions. Tandy Leather has a wide selection and the leather glue to put it all together. They also have dyes and anything else you'd need. Of coarse you could do the same thing with fabric.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
wire hangers is the first thing that comes to mind. Have you taken the old pair and looked at how they're assembled? That would be the first place I'd start. Try and mimic the original design, but with higher quality materials.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Take the old pair once they're done (or the first pair if you still have them) and take them apart to see how they're made. Then, provided they fit well, you can use them as a pattern for a new pair. For the wires, you could use wire clothes hangers or maybe even pipe cleaners if you think they'd be strong enough (certainly less sharp on the ends).

Could also do something like this costume, where the arms are covered by black tights or pantyhose but leaving extra space in the ends to stretch over the wires.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have an older pair that I've kept around but haven't had the heart to dissect yet. I'll have to give it a go,
I know at least one in that pair is no longer wearable otherwise I'd still be using them.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The wire used for a suspended ceiling is very sturdy and initially wrapping the wire with either tape or fabric should remove the possibility of the wire hurting your hands. I would extend the wire down the back of the hand in the glove for additional support. You could use a pair of thin cotton gloves to sandwich the wire between the cotton glove and a pair of the leather gloves (like Chewbacca suggested).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts