Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 32 years old white guy and one costume I want to do is a Voodoo witch woman the costume is a black dress with a leopard skirt gathered up in the front and a tan shawl skull and bone neckless and bracelets with dreadlock wig with green moss. a friend told me it looks racist I'm not trying to be but what do you think does it sound racist I can post pics later if it helps I just was not shore if I should yet thanks

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,484 Posts
My advice (which you make take or leave) is stay away from blackface & the dreadlock wig. You can still do a great voodoo witch without both of those things.

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,420 Posts
there was a time when the answer would have been, "if you have to ask, it's probably not a good idea," but in an age of internet outrage, everything is called into question.

i think the thing to ask yourself is, "would a reasonable person find this offensive?" you can find someone out there who would be offended by anything, but i think there's still a measure of objectivity to what is and isn't offensive. if it feels wrong to you, don't do it. if it feels okay, do it and don't worry what the fringe will think.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My advice (which you make take or leave) is stay away from blackface & the dreadlock wig. You can still do a great voodoo witch without both of those things.
I was NEVER doing blackface the makeup is going to just old woman and the dreadlock wig will have moss with green and blue highlight and snakes. if its ok I will post a pic or what I have done so far

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah definitely stay away from black face. But dreads? Go for it. Despite what you hear on social media about cultural appropriation (made up bs word IMHO), African Americans and people of color do not culturally own dreadlocks. Sure it was made famous by Jamaicans. But have ya ever seen a caveman - dreads man. Dreadlocks go back way before Jamaicans made it cool.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So far, I can see nothing racist about what you have on. Others are right about how things in today's world are interpreted. Since this is a costume, many people will see you and have their own opinions about it. Be aware and be careful.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I AM SORRY! But it is Halloween and a costume. Ask that person if they like Pirates of the Carribean and if they say yes then they are a Hippocrit. Because it has a Voodoo woman in it. I mean get a life.....it is a COSTUME. Go ask a transgender if they are offended by it. You are a man dressing as a woman. Chances are they wont be. I say go for it as it is a cool costume. If that person is offended then tell them to not come over. I mean caucasion people dress like Bob Marley, Micheal Jackson, President Obama, just to name a few. Does that make their costumes Racist? No! GO FOR IT It is Halloween where people can be anything they want!

·
Registered
32 Posts
That may be how it used to be, but in today's world, it's not quite the same. For some people, most everything anyone does is offensive. That's just how it is.One year I went to a gathering dressed as a pimp. Even though I was not in blackface, some people were offended. When questioned about it, I said not all pimps were black or white. It just goes to show how some people make wrong assumptions based on "their" believes, right or wrong. It wasn't always like that, but everything is politicized these days. Unfortunately even Halloween.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,484 Posts
I love it!!

Once you add in the moss & other stuff it's not gonna look as dread-y, plus you still have your beard so I say go for it & don't shave, it would be so much cooler with a beard!! Or at the very least don't lose all of the beard, leave a wispy goatee or something like that. I can't wait to see it finished too.

Just a suggestion but if you're going for an old lady look, no old lady has boobs that high so you may wanna hang those suckers a little lower & flatter.:D I mean think about it, she's been in a swamp for a while, I'm sure bras aren't a priority for her so yeah, a lot lower & saggier.:D

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love it!!

Once you add in the moss & other stuff it's not gonna look as dread-y, plus you still have your beard so I say go for it & don't shave, it would be so much cooler with a beard!! Or at the very least don't lose all of the beard, leave a wispy goatee or something like that. I can't wait to see it finished too.

Just a suggestion but if you're going for an old lady look, no old lady has boobs that high so you may wanna hang those suckers a little lower & flatter.:D I mean think about it, she's been in a swamp for a while, I'm sure bras aren't a priority for her so yeah, a lot lower & saggier.:D
when I read your post I laughed so hard about the boobs. I never thought about them being to high or young. how can I make them lower and look older looking thanks for pointing it out to me

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well you have it sitting WAY HIGHER than women have their boobs. In reality gravity takes control and they literally hang to the navel sometimes. Loosen the straps all the way. Don't have it sitting up in your arm pits. Put the band under your sternum.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/c3/35/12/c33512df1fc97b4fd6cfd971ef719b6b--sexy-granny-on-holiday.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/2e/e6/cb/2ee6cbf6c6bd100374cd44043de058e4.jpg

http://image1.masterfile.com/getIma...wMDAwMDA=AAif4i/700-00088923en_Masterfile.jpg

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Treehouse, the costume is AMAZING, the theme is great. HOWEVAH.....You DO reside in Alabama. Depending on your neighbourhood and your guests, you may upset a few people. Avoid black face altogether. Be Politically Correct at all times, and I think everything will go smoothly.
As for the bra...like Billy Joel said, " I love you just the way you are."

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,484 Posts
OK, confession time, once upon a time I would've worn a bra that big if not bigger. Thanks to the wonders of plastic surgery I no longer need that size. For reference my surgeon said that for a natural look, nipples should sit between your elbow & shoulder, mid-humerus if you will.

When you're a naturally larger busted woman, that doesn't happen, they tend to want to point South. Something heavy in the bra will achieve that look. As chachabella posted, move the whole thing lower, let out the straps all the way & stick a couple or grapefruits in there!

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,484 Posts
Rice would work too, or any cheap heavy grain but rice can be bought in bulk bags at international markets pretty cheaply & when you're done with it you have got a meal!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts