Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any good strategies or paths to take when it comes to costume/mask building. I've already researched molding, casting, I have an airbrush. But just need help with starting with learning to sew, craft, just that stuff. I'm making them for the haunted house I work at so they're going to be of a higher quality.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,009 Posts
Hi and congrats (on your first post anyway!) :)

I learned to sew from working at my local community theater and later on was taught advanced techniques in my college's costume shop. The costume department for most theaters - even if it is small - should have a competent tailor/seamstress, and if you already enjoy working at a haunted house, it's not a terrible idea to do some time working for a theater to get some ideas for the behind the scenes stuff.

You can also check out local sewing machine shops (in my area, places that sell sewing machines generally offer classes in how to use them, or know where classes can be found). Even places like Joann Fabrics or Hobby Lobby generally do offer classes to learn basic/advanced sewing.

Sewing is a pretty amazing skill to have, and it doesn't take much to get things figured out once you get the basics down and there are SO MANY AMAZING VIDEOS/TUTORIALS now available, that if you get some in person training to get the basics, you'll likely be able to advance easily on your own just by doing some viewing/reading for the next big/crazy thing you want to try.

As far as mask making - I'm a little less helpful, but if it was me, I'd start looking around for video tutorials from folks that are in the business. Special effects/costumes/masks intermediate or professionals may even been in your area and offer classes, or apprenticeship opportunities depending on where you live, but you'd need to start looking around based on your location. I'd fall back on my other suggestion for this too, in that the theater may be a good place to learn about makeup and facial prosthetics (latex/hair/etc) as well, and someone there might be able to help point you to good sources as well.

Good luck and hopefully some of the more knowledgeable members here will give you some great suggestions!

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,295 Posts
i'll second Frankie's Girl on the local theater suggestion. my wife (who i met through our community theater) was a theater major in college. she had classes relating to makeup/prosthetics/etc, but is a completely self-taught seamstress, mostly just learning by doing for costumes for shows. even if it has nothing to do directly with halloween and horror, theater is a great place to learn a lot of the skills you can use in haunting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts