Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some decorations you have made on your own, compared to buying at retail.

I plan on making limbless libby (for sale at walmart), going to look for a cheap or free walker and use some old clothes, a mask and wig. Hopefully it will look decent.
I saw something on pinterest about using gown storage bags as body bags, I thought that was cool.

Anything else you have made or created that can save some big bucks?
My theme this year will be insane asylum- past few years it was Carnevil. So it''s almost like starting from scratch and we have a big yard.

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
I have a few that I've made, but the ones that get the most attention are the 7 ft skeletal executioner, and the glowing ghost lady.

Originally, the executioner was a $1 mask that I bought on clearance, a $1 string of battery operated lights for eyes (used two red, put electrical tape over the rest to darken them), frame was a tall wooden coat rack scavenged from neighbor's trash, arms and hands were dry cleaning hangers (masking tape fingers), and a black graduation gown given to me from someone on Freecycle. The rest of him was filled out with grocery bags and black garbage bags (it was dark, so it worked as filler for the bottom of the gown, since it wasn't long enough). I bought him a little double headed axe at Dollar Tree, too, I think...or at least, I didn't spend very much on it.

I've changed him since then. I moved, and didn't want to take the coat rack with me, so I built him a frame from PVC pipe. I also bought some remnant black fabric to "tack" along the bottom of the gown, and a more realistic halberd that is nearly as tall as he is, for $10 or so at Party City. His head is no longer stuffed with grocery sacks, I bought a $5 styrofoam wig head, and drilled out eye holes for the Christmas lights that are still in use for his eyes.

At one point, his eyes were LED sucker sticks, because they were much easier to manage than the light strings. However, the batteries finally ran out, and they weren't replaceable. I haven't been able to find any since. (I'd bought them in actual suckers that went on clearance at our local grocery store many years ago...gave the kids the suckers, kept the sticks when they were done)

The ghost lady is made similarly. $5 styrofoam wig head, a couple of $1 packs of cheesecloth from Dollar Tree, a couple of $1 yards of iridiscent tulle from Walmart, dry cleaning hanger shoulders, arms, masking tape hands, $1 battery operated candle from Dollar Tree, PVC stake camoflauged with brown and green spray paint so it won't glow. Then I use two spotlight stakes and Feit spiral black light bulbs covered by Dollar Tree "mason style" jars for weatherproofing. The most expensive thing about her is the bulbs!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I make a lot of my own props on a tight budget. Feel free to scroll through my gallery for some ideas. I'll answer any questions too, as to how things were made. There is even a drop panel idea I made for a blacklight 3-D Asylum theme our Lions Club did one year. I think that is on page 3.

Here's the link to my gallery. http://www.halloweenforum.com/members/wolfbeard-albums-wolfbeard-s-photos.html

Eric

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow awesome build LairMistress, I had a 6 foot reaper from CVS i got on clearance and kids loved that thing, last year it stopped working. I left the batteries in it and I they popped from the Texas heat. I might try to do some repairs on it or build another guy.

Wolfbeard I'm off to stalk your work now!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I made a male version. Very cheap. $10 walker, $10 shiatsu massager, dollar store hands and a wig head. I called him Lieutenant Dan (cause he had no legs).
This is so great! Do you have any pic of how you held up the massager? I just started googling shiatsu massager after reading your post, great idea!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts