Halloween Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While waiting to catch Face Off on SYFY, a series called Heroes of Cosplay came on. I had seen the term cosplay mentioned occasionally but had no idea really what it referred to. For the uninformed like me, Cosplay is Costume Play. The episode I'm watching now is on Wizard World Portland. Pretty interesting and a springboard for costumes you might want to create for halloween or for a prop.

The segment on making the headcast for the horn piece was interesting as well as painting of some of the costume parts. Some really amazing costumes, some designed for graphic novels, animated media that had to be constructed for real people to wear.

I have to say it's really exciting to have shows on TV, well cable/satellite, that focus on the creative talents of makeup artists, set designers, prop makers, and costume designers.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I caught the show and it was pretty interesting. I've never cosplayed myself (well, not in a con setting) but I have friends that do, as well as acquaintances/friends of friends who are pretty famous for their cosplays and have quite a following. They did really play up the drama on the show, to be expected, and I think in the future they should clarify that within the cosplay community it's not all about competition (I don't even think the majority of people who cosplay compete as seriously as the individuals on the show, or compete at all for that matter)

But I think it is great that there's more and more platforms for these kinds of creative hobbies and subcultures. It can also be really inspiring to others, as you've mentioned.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts