Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place. :)

I found a website that shows you how to make those cheap Bluckys into really cool corpses. This is the one I'm striving for.

Spooky Blue's Halloween Projects & Haunts

I have 2 Bluckys and I'll post step by step what I did while I do it so if it turns out good you guys can see exactly how I did it!! Okay...

STEP 1

From Walmart I bought 2 bags of cobwebs ($4), Laytex paint ($3.23), 2 sponge brushes (less than $1) and mahogany paint ($3.72)

From Michaels I bought the liquid laytex ($13.99)

So I got about $25 in the pot for supplies. (I already had my lovely Bluckys)

STEP 2

Behold, my Bluckys before I cut them to shreds.

Yes, they're in sad shape! They're like 13 years old. lol I have been embarassed to put them out on my porch with the "good" decorations. Hopefully this will be remedied this year!

I use a utility knife and smaller scissors to cut out the ribs, torso, legs, arms, eyes, nose and mouth. This is NOT as easy as you think it is! Take your time! One slip with the utility knife and you'll be slicing yourself instead of your trusty Blucky. It took me all of 2 1/2 hrs to get everything cut out. I thought about trying to do something with the hands and feet but I may get out the duct tape and try to do something. Anyway, here are the pictures of my completed cut out parts. Now, I didn't cut out the ribs in the back or in the back torso. They're not gonna be seen anyway with how I want to pose my little darlings so I didn't bother with it.

That's it for now! I'll start the gooey messy stuff tomorrow! I'll add pictures and update s soon as I get done doing a step. :)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that skull in the 2nd picture looks weird, are you going to use the hands and feet in the package?
LOL Yeah he is a bit bizarre. But he's over a decade old. They don't make em like they used to! ;)

I'm not certain what I'm going to do with extra limbs yet. One of the Bluckys will be a groundbreaker so I won't need the legs. I haven't figured out what I'm doing with Blucky #2 yet. I'm going to corpse everything though. Waste not, want not! I'm sure I'll find some evil way to use them.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Step 3

Day 2 and I'm ready to get down and dirty! First off, get some old clothes on, lay a drop cloth down and turn on the answering machine.

I got what I thought I needed ready..

My bowl of laytex paint, scissors, cobwebs, a brush, and of course my Bluckys. The brush? Discard it. You won't need it. The cobwebs cut (not rip) it all up into small pieces before you start. I didn't do this and I wish I had! Cause I had to keep pulling my gloves off to cut more. Now, I would STRONGLY suggests that you use laytex gloves. You know those kinds that a stylist uses to color your hair? Yeah those. Get a box of them and have them handy.

As you can see, I have a small can of paint. I um..underestimated the amount I needed. That little thing only let me do the head, ribcage, and 2 hands. So you're gonna need a 1/2 gallon of paint per Blucky. Luckily we have a lot of paint in the basement left over from interior/exterior house work. So I grabbed one of the white ones and I was back in business! I'm wondering what my husband will say when he sees I took some of the paint, but the dang lid was rusted! When was the last time it was used, right? I'm getting rid of clutter! He should be thrilled! But I digress.. where was I?

Okay, I'm all set. I put a piece of cobweb in the paint and make sure it's saturated. I squeeze some access out so it is no longer dripping, then I slap it on. Here's a picture I took after I completed half of a ribcage.

I like how it's looking already! So I continue to cover the parts without much trouble until I got to the head. Ugh. This was really frustrating. The stuff kept sliding down and falling off! I'd complete one side of the head, go to the other and a piece from the first side would drop off. Stupid Blucky head. But I did manage to get the stuff on it finally. Right now though, I can see some pieces that came off and is dangling. I'm not overly concerned. A pass or two with the glue gun when it's dry and it'll look fine.

I completed 80% of my two Bluckys today. I ran out of time. :( I still need to do most of the limbs but that's not gonna take too long. I'll finish up tomorrow. It took me about 2 hrs to do what I did.

Now I just hurry up and wait. The instructions say to let it dry for 3 days so I've got time. I also need to turn the limb bones over to do the other sides but I can't do that until the first side is dry anyway. This is not a project you can get done in a few days. If I would have waited any longer it wouldn't have been done on time.

That's it for now. I'll start on the next step when everything is dried!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what color paint are you going to use, im corpsing mine too and i cant decide
The actual paint or the wood stain? The paint..well, funny story. Okay, not really but I'll tell it anyway. lol I got the small laytex paint from Walmart. It was actually a light cream color. Someone had mixed the wrong color for something so they brought it back and it was 50% off. :) Unfortunately, that wasn't enough paint. So I have some parts light cream and the rest white. But I figure it won't make a difference. I'll be putting mahogany stain over it so I doubt you'd be able to notice.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's day 3 and there are still a few wet spots so I'm gonna wait one more day before continuing. Meanwhile I'm going to start another project!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Day 5 and I'm finally ready to move on!! Behold, my Bluckys (minus the limbs)!

Here I get out the liquid laytex.

Using the brush, I slap some on. You're not gonna get total coverage because of all the rough pieces. You don't need to anyway. The laytex makes the pieces you paint shinier than the rest so it sticks out more. I bought a 16 oz can and it's going to be more than enough for both skeletons. Wonder what else I can use the stuff for..hmmm... But let me take a minute now and say that if you've never used the liquid laytex... THAT STUFF REEKS!!! It should have a warning on it not to drive or operate machinery after inhaling this stuff!

Okay, after I applied the laytex I took a blow dryer to it.

The instructions didn't mentioned waiting for it to dry so I just used the blow dryer. :) Next is the fun part!!!

Time to use the mahogany stain! I just used another brush and slapped it on. Plenty of stain to do both Bluckys!

These are the coolest things!! They look exactly like BBQ ribs. Makes me hungry! mmmm!

As per instructions, I'm supposed to wait another 3 days for it to dry. I just put the last layer of "flesh" on the other side of my limbs so now I need to wait until Wed. to finish it up. I have to say I'm thrilled with the appearance!

One of the skeletons I'm going to use as a ground breaker. And I just saw on here someone that made a cage for theirs with PVC so I'll do that with the 2nd one. I'll make a different thread for those. When they're completely finished I'll add the pictures here so you can see the finished product.

My final thoughts..took awhile to do but well worth it! I am amazed at the transformation of my crappy Bluckys! LOL

·
Registered
256 Posts
Awesome! I'm going to have to try this. Mommy dearest did ask me if I could get her some Halloween decorations.

I have a little tub of that exact latex sitting in my bedroom, and it DOES smell horrible.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hello there just to give you props, i started doing this project and you weren't kidding with cutting out part... fingers feel like i put them in a vise took forever to cut out with exacto came close a couple of times to cutting my self right to emergency room hahaha. but will see if comes out anything close to looking cool like yours

·
Registered
2 Posts
havn't gotten a blucky yet much less seen one but what about using a dremel or die grinder to cut the blucky up? should make short work of it and give the fingers a break...

·
Registered
139 Posts
This particular blucky (if its the same one that I have) is rubber, a knife or scissors is about the only way I can think of.
I will be starting mine tonite with my daughters help, I am cautiously optomistic that the scissors I have might do the trick, those kind that are supposed to be able to cut through a penny?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts