Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to give the whole skeleton corpsing thing a go! I'll be using the Stiltbeast Studiods corpsing method. I'm going with a skeleton I purchased last year from Party City due to the fact that he's lost a few limbs, and if it works out well with him, I plan on grabbing a few from Costco so we can have a few on display this year. We might be moving so I'm trying to go with props that can be placed anywhere, and skeletons are those kinds of props!

Starting this morning but it's about 83 degrees at the moment, so I won't be lasting long, lol.

Roof Tree

Wish me luck! :D

DHM

·
Registered
635 Posts
Good luck. I did one last year and it was pretty easy and turned out great. I wish it was only in the 80s here, yesterday it was 106.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Easy to do. I did two maybe 5 years ago and they still look good and nasty lol. I was going to redo them and use some great stuff and make some guts but maybe I'll have time one day soon. Good luck hope to see some photos soon:)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's what he looks like so far! I melted his hands a bit to make him look as though he is reaching to grab someone, and melted his upper spine so it was bent back and to the right a bit so he wasn't so stiff. Got the head and torso all done, so tomorrow I'll do his arms and his half leg, then it's onto paint! Does anyone on here have any experience with weather proofing the corpses? We get a good amount of rain here and I don't want that to be an issue.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,167 Posts
Thank you! The only downside to him is his joints are all too flexible, so there's going to be a lot of rebar and hot glue in his future
Use the corpsing plastic to go over top of the joints to help lock him in the pose you want. I did that to secure the head and jaw on mine and it worked great. I left the arms and legs poseable though. Or pose him with screws, wire, whatever, then corpse over that to hide it. I wouldn't recommend hot glue for securing plastic bones. I'm learning that as I glue the bones on my cemetery sign back together with construction adhesive after it fell apart.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Use the corpsing plastic to go over top of the joints to help lock him in the pose you want. I did that to secure the head and jaw on mine and it worked great. I left the arms and legs poseable though. Or pose him with screws, wire, whatever, then corpse over that to hide it. I wouldn't recommend hot glue for securing plastic bones. I'm learning that as I glue the bones on my cemetery sign back together with construction adhesive after it fell apart.
Good to know, I'll try securing them tomorrow. Hoping to get him painted Monday

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looking good! Can't wait to see him painted. I ordered a couple skeletons today and am going to give the Stiltbeast Studio method a try for the first time. Super excited to see what everyone is working on.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looking good! Can't wait to see him painted. I ordered a couple skeletons today and am going to give the Stiltbeast Studio method a try for the first time. Super excited to see what everyone is working on.
I was a little nervous going into it but it turned out to be way easier than I thought it would be. Good luck on yours!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First layer of paint is done, I used Minwax's Red Chestnut color for the base. Super happy with the color so far! Once it's dried I'm going to go over all the openings and in between the ribs with some greens, and darken a few other areas. One thing I will say is I wish I had used more plastic to make it a bit tougher, the plastic on him was a little loose, but I'll remember it for the next few I do.
Chainsaw carving Sculpture Carving Wood Art

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,167 Posts
One thing I will say is I wish I had used more plastic to make it a bit tougher, the plastic on him was a little loose, but I'll remember it for the next few I do.
I used stretch wrap plastic on mine and realized the same thing as I was working on it so I added layers as I went to create stiffness. One layer just melts under the heat gun but several will melt together then harden. I was even able to twist up some pieces to make tendons on the neck once I got the hang of it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Stiltbeast Studio
He cracks me up! Did it work just like he said it does? I used his idea for my reaper/ghost of Christmas future with the flex seal except I did the flex seal over monster mud and it seemed to work good. The only thing he did not mention is how your can use your hand the next day after going through 4 cans of spray. My hubby gave me a nifty can spraying attachment after I was done. (c: Oh well live and learn.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts