Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made this prop today, tried to go for the old mummy corpse look using the plastic method. Any tips to make it better?

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,826 Posts
Looks really good as is, but if it was me, I'd add some darker brown almost black paint - maybe eve a touch of green here and there - over the body/face, so it gets into the low areas, then while it is still wet, use an old rag/towels to clear off or blot the excess paint off the high points. You want to soften the areas/blend it so there's no hard lines or areas where it looks "painted."

Could then use a sponge with some off white/yellows to lightly highlight the really high areas - small sponge, dipped into the light paint, then blot it on a towel so it's got just a very small amount, then tap gently at the high areas, and have a clean sponge to lightly blend (I'd do the "poncing" effect to get it to look natural).

The darker color in the recessed areas with a bit of highlights in the high areas will really bring out the details while making it look more aged and creepy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm not a fan of the plastic wrap method. Doesn't look realistic to me. I used the panty hose & liquid latex Looks much more like dry skin over the bones & you can cut out area to expose the bones underneath. The "wench" has no added color. The other two I used saddle tan leather antique dye from Tandy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks really good as is, but if it was me, I'd add some darker brown almost black paint - maybe eve a touch of green here and there - over the body/face, so it gets into the low areas, then while it is still wet, use an old rag/towels to clear off or blot the excess paint off the high points. You want to soften the areas/blend it so there's no hard lines or areas where it looks "painted."

Could then use a sponge with some off white/yellows to lightly highlight the really high areas - small sponge, dipped into the light paint, then blot it on a towel so it's got just a very small amount, then tap gently at the high areas, and have a clean sponge to lightly blend (I'd do the "poncing" effect to get it to look natural).

The darker color in the recessed areas with a bit of highlights in the high areas will really bring out the details while making it look more aged and creepy.
Thankyou I’ll have to try those methods! I added some black already but I’ll have to sponge some yellow on it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
38 Posts
Stretch the pantyhose over the skeleton & use 2 or 3 coats of liquid latex. One thing to remember though. You'll need to position the jaw where you want & pose any joints (knees/elbows) the way you want them to be. Partly because of the pantyhose reinforcement. It doesn't stretch real well in those areas.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stretch the pantyhose over the skeleton & use 2 or 3 coats of liquid latex. One thing to remember though. You'll need to position the jaw where you want & pose any joints (knees/elbows) the way you want them to be. Partly because of the pantyhose reinforcement. It doesn't stretch real well in those areas.
I’ve heard liquid latex gets expensive, how much do you say you’ve spent on one Skeleton?

·
Registered
38 Posts
It doesn't take that much. You can do different areas & not the whole thing if you're going to put some type of costume on them. I buy it by the gallon on ebay & it's about $60 a gal.

·
Registered
471 Posts
HillStreet - Looks great, I'm a big fan of the plastic drop cloth corpsing. Each one just gets better as you learn and pick up tricks from the previous.

On the next one, you could experiment with modelers air dry clay and make eviler eye sockets and more prominent cheekbones. Remove a few teeth and make that skelly look like it is not so dang happy being dead.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HillStreet - Looks great, I'm a big fan of the plastic drop cloth corpsing. Each one just gets better as you learn and pick up tricks from the previous.

On the next one, you could experiment with modelers air dry clay and make eviler eye sockets and more prominent cheekbones. Remove a few teeth and make that skelly look like it is not so dang happy being dead.
I was thinking of that, I thought my skull didn’t have much shape. Didn’t think to use clay though, seems fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts