Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I'm REALLY down to the wire - my huge party is on the 17th, so I only have 12 days left - EEEKKKK!! :eek:

I have a couple of those really cheapo $1 skulls from Dollar Tree. I bought the panty hose to corpse with. But can you really corspe those?? They are so fakey looking, is it really going to help, or just make them look even more stupid??

I plan to cut out the black eye parts, and put in eyeballs I'm making out of ping pong balls - to me that black painted eye socket is what makes these looks so awful, it's not even sunken in, it's so fakey. So, I'm hoping with altering the eyes, and corpsing, it'll look way better.

Then I'm just left with the crappy teeth. They may just have to stay....

Anyone altered the $1 skulls before?? Did it make them look better??

Just wanting to know before I put a ton of time into them! :p Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've done those before with pretty good results. As for the eyes and especially the teeth, I would recommend using the "bake clay" kids stuff that you can find at Walmart. Just hand mold the teeth (and eyes if you like), bake it up per instructions, get some white paint (also from Wallyworld), and coat it with clear nail polish when the paint is dry. If you want some added effect, before painting you can take a fork or knive and carve decay into the teeth, shape them into fangs or anything else you can think of. Then all you need to do is hot glue into place. Pretty simple but has an excellent result.

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the idea for the teeth!! I may have to try that!! :)

·
Blvd FrightNight
671 Posts
yeah i picked up one in plan to use ut as a mold that really didnt work. but ur so ture there SUPER fake looking. i thought of cutting the eyes out and replacing them that would look really cool.

-BYH

·
Registered
250 Posts
Check out Cassie's "Mommy Bluckie Demon" thread here -- she does an absolutelly unbelievable job corpsing a very cheap skull, along with the rest of the skeleton!!! One of these days I am going to try it . . .:rolleyes:

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Effie, thanks so much!! She did take a skull like mine and totally re-create it!!

I have never used that latex or cotton....Not sure I'm up to the challenge this late in the game!! LOL

But I will def cut the eyes out...and remove the jaw and re-attach and cut the teeth into spikes. Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sunday morning I corpsed a Blucky torso with pantyhose, a goopy flour/water solution (think thick pancake batter) and some gel stain. The result was far beyond my expectations, for an hour's work. It doesn't even resemble a blucky now.

So yes, you can corpse the cheap stuff and get a reasonable result.

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I have one other question - ya'll should know by now you have to spell things out for me!!

This latex - where can I get this - what specifically should I get??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Personally I would recommend just using some of the cheapest latex paint that you can find at any local hardware store if you are using the cotton batting/paper towel/toilet paper approach. I did my fist one like this last year and it worked out very well. Plus, from what I found it was considerably cheaper than using acutal liquid latex.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I started one of the dollar tree specials late last night. I cut out the eye sockets, and cut around the jawbone and teeth. Had a few cuts to repair because of varied thickness of the plastic. I saw how people we doing the wind chimes, so I picked up the skull and 2 bones and the 9 mini skull pack. I wouldn't be too worried. I bet that after you put in the work nobody is gonna ask if it came from the dollar store.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This was my first attempt at corpsing last year so it's still a little rough, but you can get the idea. Wasn't a Dollar Store, but practically the same thing (one of those cheapo $20 skellies from Spirit). Used the ole latex paint and cotton, but did the bake clay for the teeth and eyes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's a bit better of a shot, always looks a little creepier when there isn't bright sunlight on it. (plus it hides the shotty craftmanship!)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Personally I would recommend just using some of the cheapest latex paint that you can find at any local hardware store if you are using the cotton batting/paper towel/toilet paper approach. I did my fist one like this last year and it worked out very well. Plus, from what I found it was considerably cheaper than using acutal liquid latex.
I agree .....I would use exterior latex paint unless you plan on using stain or polyurathain for the final coat ...I use a mohagony stain for a final coat so its seals it and water proofs it........the paint is usually thick enough and esier to work with ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hey I a hack ,what can I say ..........lol

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so, what color latex paint are ya'll using?? I was going to stain it...but if you don't/can't stain on top of the paint....

·
Registered
313 Posts
you can use any color paint ........and you can stain right over the paint and cotton .........just give it a day to dry .............if you use a darker paint the final color could be alittle darker ......sometimes I give it a coat of black spray paint to give the corpse a darker color .......sometimes I dont ....Im like that ..........lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
This made me think of using that elastic stuff you find in magazines holding sections together. I've used it before to look like long boogers but I think if you can get the right lengths and cut them in bits you can hot glue them together to form elastic muscle, paint them red, attach them to a simple eye and now you have a dangling eye ball.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts