Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bog Body
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this will be my first time corpsing anything. i'm going to use paper towels, glue +water, over painted paper mache. i'm painting the paper mache skull white to cover up the news print. then should i paint the paper towel corpsing before staining? can you use wood stain on paint? can i use spray paint before the staining? if not i'll just dry brush acrylic and seal it. i just really like the results i've seen from staining and wiping.

thanks for any help.

also, what stains are people using/would be recommended?

thanks again in advance.

·
Registered
184 Posts
the ones i have corpsed i just use glue or latex and water and use paper towels . when its dry start with your darkest color first say its black then use earth tone colors dark green , browns, greys and so on .you will want to dry brush any of those earth tone colors on . air brushing is very nice is this project also . i have only used stains on a straight bucky skeleton . no paper mache was used it turned out pretty nice. i personally like to use latex and cotton balls and spiderwebs for a very nice effect..

·
Registered
327 Posts
We always stain the bones with minwax mahogany gel stain...brush on, wipe off after a few seconds/minutes. Gives the bones a nice aged look. Then use cotton batting and spider webs with tinted latex for the flesh. You could also use the glue/paper towel technique and then spray paint it a mixture of black and brown, then dry-brush some lighter tones over it....some greens, tans, and such.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
What are you painting the skull with?

if it is acrylic, I would be hesitant to use a spirit based woodstain as it will probably react with the acrylic paint.

An alternative to woodstain would be to use thinned down washes of acrylic paint, reddish browns, dark browns, greys etc. the consistency should be almost like dirty water and can be applied directly once your tp mache is dy.

The great thing with corpsing is that there is no right and wrong way..no one set technique or list of materials.
Experiment and have fun..you will probably be surprised at the results.

Best of luck and be sure to post some pics!

·
Bog Body
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was going to do a quick spray of white to the corpsed skull with normal spray paint.(also some hands made of dryer lint clay). just for a base coat. i like the watered down acrylic idea. i'll have to experiment. i have tones of earth tone acrylics left over from tombstones.

thanks for the ideas =)

·
Registered
576 Posts
I started to use wood stain, but it was not getting in the cracks so I just went with a few different colors of spray paint. Cinnamon (originally used for rust color on my cemetary fence), black, dark green, brown. Covered with a coat of polyurethene.

·
Bog Body
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm going to have to do one dark initial coat and then dry brush lighter over it. i might have misunderstood the watered down acrylic suggested earlier. didn't realize it would re wet the paper towel mache and absorb all the paint evenly. good thing i test a small unseen area first.

hate it when you think you have a color but it's all dried up in the tube. my dark green did this =(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts