Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/neighborhoods-city/as-its-petals-close-scent-of-corpse-flower-at-phipps-fades-700372/

Just ran across this article so didn't realize this was going on, but apparently there was a Corpse Flower that bloomed at my local conservatory. The flower only blooms once every 6 years and emits a rotting flesh odor to attract pollinators like flies and beetles. They named this one 'Romero' after George Romero who is from Pittsburgh. Too bad it didn't bloom over Halloween. Would of been fitting. Never heard of this type of flower before.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
My late great aunt actually kept one in her home- a New York apartment! It grew so tall that it curled back on itself. Wish I could find the old pictures to post. I don''t know if it ever bloomed for her... but it's probably best for everyone in the building if it didn't.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
I don''t know if it ever bloomed for her... but it's probably best for everyone in the building if it didn't.
Ha. Yes, with it being enclosed, that could have been horrendous...

I would love to actually see one of those gorgeous flowers (only been able to catch pictures over the years thus far). Who wants to partner with me and see about marketing that fragrance to Macy's and other luxury stores?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yes! The muttart conservatory in Edmonton had one bloom this spring! They were projecting it to bloom one day, so my parents went in. It hasn't bloomed. It did however bloom the next day but thy didn't go to see it because the lines were ridiculous

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
A much smaller version is the Voodoo Lily, I first bought one about 17 years ago said you didn't have to plant it outside, you could use a hyacinth planter with water, well it grew and when it flowered I couldn't figure out why the house smelt like rotting garbage. Never made that mistake again LOL. Hybridised versions now don't smell.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
A much smaller version is the Voodoo Lily, I first bought one about 17 years ago said you didn't have to plant it outside, you could use a hyacinth planter with water, well it grew and when it flowered I couldn't figure out why the house smelt like rotting garbage. Never made that mistake again LOL. Hybridised versions now don't smell.
Poor fella, being told wrong by that [email protected]:eek: That is a really neat flower, too. Probably for the best that they crossbred them with something else to get the stink out, though...

F

·
0 Posts
...I really don't know too many flower types though. I lack a green thumb :-/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts