Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a corn maze in their yard? I have a small yard but after moving my corn patch to the front yard this year it got me thinking that next year I could expand it and make it part of the walk through. This year I have 4 8X2' planter boxes planted with corn and pumpkins that line the outside of my yard. I planned on back-lighting them for Halloween. Does anyone else do corn for their haunt?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Check jdubbya's thread from last Halloween. He used a corn maze on his driveway (I think) to great effect.
One of my big additions this year is to duplicate jdubbya's driveway pallet corn maze. It seems like a giant no brainer if you have a decent size driveway. Make the kids go through the corn maze to get to your front door and scare them all the way along. :D

One of jdubbya's pics from last year:

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,489 Posts
Hey there! Saw this thread and figured I'd weigh in. We did a pretty neat corn maze last year that ran most of the length of our driveway. It could easily be used anywhere that is relatively level. We used old pallets and just stuffed corn stalks in between the slats. The pallets were free as were the corn stalks. We screwed the pallets together and braced them from behind for support. It was a big hit and very creepy.

Hope this helps a bit. Super easy and super cheap and a great effect.

·
Registered
189 Posts
A couple of years ago I brought all the left over corn stalks from my son's school fall festival. We didn't do a maze instead we used it as a backdrop for our display. I liked how it looked but I found out my son and I get very itchy if we touch corn stalks too much so I don't think we'd use real ones again.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I remember seeing this last year and thinking how cool it would be to do. I want to do a partial maze but my biggest problem is getting a hold of the corn stalks at a reasonable price in SoCal. It's not like we've got a bunch of fields nearby, so I'm figuring I'm going to need to venture out to find some farms.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,489 Posts
That is AWESOME jdubbya! Where did you get the corn stalks for free? Also did you do any effects or scares in it or did you let the stalks do all the work ;) ?
Thanks! We were able to get truck loads of corn stalks from neighboring farms. An old friend of our owns several large fields of corn and we loaded up three pick up trucks full for the maze. Start making contacts now and see if you can get people to donate them to you if you cut them down for them. The corn itself is creepy, especially at night but we had scare actors who would pop through the stalks, as well as a compressed air scare. Really effective!

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
I totally ripped off a bit of jdubbya's concept last year in making what I dubbed the corn tunnel.

Instead of pallets, all we did was run a rope from the fence posts, down the row around some rebar about every 6 feet, and to another post way down at the end, then back up. Sandwich the rebar between the ropes, and they held up just fine. You could run a whole maze with just the rope and rebar if you wanted/couldn't find the pallets.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,065 Posts
We did one last year in our side yard, sorry it is not a very good picture, but many people said it was their favourite part of our Haunt. I have to say it was pretty creepy, many people made it through the garage maze, only to exit into the corn maze and said "oh gawd not corn, I hate corn!"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts