Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
Are you thinking something like a backdrop (scene setter)? How large of an area?

I haven't seen any cornfields out there. However you could paint one on some canvas or possibly plastic or foamboard with the right kind of paint. Scene Setters makes a 2-pack of a scarecrow and cornfield that might be of some help. If you could paint enough of a background you could always pick up a couple of the scene setters and cut out the corn stalks (33 inches wide approximately) and adhere to your backdrop to maybe give it a more realistic look in the foreground.

Sorry that's the best idea I can think of unless you want to use real, dried out cornstalks. In which case I would think about attaching real stalks to a "fence frame" to give it support standing up. I live in an area where there are still some farms so it's probably something that could be picked up for cheap or for free from some farms. You could probably get buy with one long "fence" of them to create a field look.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I dont remember where but awhile back I did come across a corn field that someone was creating using the foam insulation as a base, they had carved the edges to look sloped and more like real dirt, and had inserted into the foam short bits of pvc that they were inserting each stalk into. Seemed like a pretty cool idea to me.

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
I dont remember where but awhile back I did come across a corn field that someone was creating using the foam insulation as a base, they had carved the edges to look sloped and more like real dirt, and had inserted into the foam short bits of pvc that they were inserting each stalk into. Seemed like a pretty cool idea to me.

That sounds cool to me too. Also quite a few hours into creating the stalks and corn but I like the idea. Suppose you could work on the "stalk" stuffers while watching tv or something. Guessing maybe paper maché or raffia or something like that.

I was also thinking that if you didn't want to buy pvc for the stalk, bamboo stakes/poles might be another solution. I bought a dozen or so from Dollar Tree during the summer for some projects. They were the yellowish color too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think I may have been a bit confusing. He was using actual corn stalks but was using the pvc as something to insert the stalk into to hold the stalk upright.

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
You need to use real stalks to make it convincing. atach the stalks into plastic stakes used in gardening to hold up lamps in a garden bed. Mound dirt around the stalk bottom to hide the stakes for an authentic look. Head Jason Voorhees or like minded killer behind the stalks and you got one hell of a display.

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
Well the original poster asked for fake cornfield ideas. Maybe because of fire code issues. The real stuff is highly flameable. I remember Fashionboy having posted that he got some kind of permit to close off their street for the haunt so I'm guessing the fire marshall might be checking things out too. I agree the real stuff is the first choice and cheap too. Anything else is going to cost more than buying it dried from a farmer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts