Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
The first question that popped into my mind is whether they own a forklift to move that stuff around? The second is whether this is a one-time display (i.e., going to the dump afterwards) or whether this is a display they intend to re-use and therefore must be stored until next Halloween? This stuff is clearly huge and heavy!

Craig

·
Registered
321 Posts
My guess would be that that person works at an aircraft salvage yard. The tail section wouldn't way THAT much but that chunk of fuselage would weight a LOT.

IDK, not my style either. I'd have rather seen a smaller plane used, less plane stuff and more "people" stuff. Oh make it crash into the grave yard and then you could do some great stuff with ground breakers, crawlers, and zombies!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'd be worried that someone in my neighborhood either had been in a crash or knew someone who died in a plane crash and have PTSD flashbacks or something. Each to his own I guess.

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
yeah, that was my first thought when I saw this thread, was someone had this haunt and people were complaining about it.

Too real life for me I guess.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I remember reading about a guy who did this a few years ago. He had a lot of trouble with the police because it was so realistic looking that people were actually calling 911 to report a plane crash. I think I remember the police actually made him take down the display.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Believe it or not this is my neighbor. He lives around the corner from me. He did this what will now be four Halloween's ago. In person it looked amazing. At night he had it lite and a small fire was visible. Every night there were news vans or newspapers at his house. I'm not sure how he got it done because one night when I drove home it was just there. There were rumors that he worked or knew someone at an airplane salvage yard. I never heard anything about anyone complaining. He had it up past Halloween.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I personally think its a stupid idea. We had a plane crash about 20 miles away a block from my friends parents house. It was United 3407, 49 people died in the plane and 1 person whose house it landed on. I am really offended but different strokes for different folks i guess.
Now this house i can see getting alot of hate from others.

·
Registered
65 Posts
As a survivor of a terrible plane crash, I don't see a place for this at Halloween, especially for the kids, and I don't get the connection to Halloween this person is making,,, poor taste if you ask me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Industen - you are entitled to your opinion. I disagree and carrying your logic out none of us would be able to decorate for Halloween. My preferred theme is pirates. I know that someone somewhere lost a family member to piracy. I have gallows set up in my front yard knowing that can offend a large group of people. The beauty of the display was its realism.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think something such as this would be better off in a actual haunted house attraction. Maybe have some zombie stewardess or pilot walking around. In front of a house it just looks tacky. Using Offensive or gory props is up to you, but remember that young children or people that just don't get it will be seeing it. Now in an Haunted House attraction, this stuff will be behind close doors, and you will be expecting gory or scary things.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mmmm...although I think it's sort of...interesting, too many people in my family are pilots. Some have had close calls...and we have lost a close family friend in an airshow stuntflying accident. Too close to home for me to really enjoy, as I imagine it is for many. But to each his own. There are several elements to the usual Halloween display that could be construed as offending to at least one group of people.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I actually don't think this has anything to do with Halloween either...Halloween to me is pumpkins, witches, ghosts and monsters...not modern tragedies. very weird choice.

·
Registered
74 Posts
A Mad Scientist in a Lab or dismembered cadavers on an autopsy slab in a garage haunt have very little to do with Halloween, if you think about it. Where and what is the tie-in ?
If you want to equate the over-the-top macabre with Halloween, then a wrecked airliner fits the bill. It's a fine display. Just a matter of personal taste, in my opinion.

q
:cool:

·
Grand Poobah
2,899 Posts
So because a few people die in plane crashes, you can't do it? Don't most of you biatch about people being outraged by the outrage over nooses and hanging props?

What about people that died by zombie attack or vampire bites? Where's the anger there? ;-)

Don't join the mobs and overreact. I wouldn't do this, but I also wouldn't put a hanging person in my display.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts