Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Horror of The South
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello HF,

I have recently discovered a sensor that is easy to get hold of and relativly cheap...

Over here ( The UK ) we have an auto-air freshener, called Sense and Spray which goes off when someone walks past it...

So...I had one which didn't turn cogs properly so I decided to take it apart and see what I could do to fix it...After several minutes propbing the insides of the machine I discovered the sensor is really easy to take apart and it is pretty small, perfect for a halloween make...

Therefore I took out the sensor, motor and battery pack, and now I am applying quick connects to all the connections so it is a universal sensor for anything...

This is perfect for my grave grabber I am working on, so I thought my first animated prop has just got even better...

Just thought this is a good cheap sensor for props...

Ruggerz

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
yeah, I've been watching the ads wondering how cost effective it would be to use one, the units can be bought for about £5.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Great idea ruggerz. I have one that goes off on an internal sensor. You can set the timer for when it should go off. Maybe I'll pull apart mine too.

·
The Horror of The South
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also all have a motor built into them so all you need to do is connect it to your prop...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Harbor Freight already has (PIR) motion sensor controlled AC outlets for $10. By the time you wire up a relay and outlet seems like sprayers would be more trouble than what they're worth to me.

I wonder what type of sensor do these use and how well does it respond to various light levels?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Bought 2 thanks for posting about harbor freight.
Glad to help

I've built my own in the past cause I wanted more control over the timer and now have about a dozen of the PIR sensors in my junk drawer. The ones at Harbor Freight use the same sensor and are pretty much ready to go and are about the same price as the sensor alone.

Harbor Freight - Motion Sensor Outlet

The freshener type would be fun to play with but looks like I missed the coupon deal ($5.00 off) around Christmas at Wal-Mart. For a couple bucks it would be worth tearing into one and seeing what it's limits are.

·
The Horror of The South
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update...

Unfortunatly while I was away at relatives, my mum had gone into my room and found pieces of the air freshener on my desk and had thrown the sensor and motor away thinking they were rubbish, so at the moment i havent done any tests yet, but I will be buying a couple over the weekend for some testing...

Ruggerz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts