Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years, I’ve been converting my graveyard to low voltage lighting. One of this year’s projects is to create cemetery columns with old-world-style lamp posts mounted on top. I’ve been hunting for yard sale finds that I can remove the 110v standard light sockets to replace with some type of low-voltage lamp. However, it’s been difficult to find a pair I liked but I did find (and have on order) a very inexpensive pair of standard 110v lamp posts. Instead of disassembling and removing the sockets and wiring, can I use the existing socket with a low voltage lamp and connect the unit to my low voltage lighting? On the Internet, I believe I have found a compact fluorescent bulb designed to work on a 12v current. If I use that bulb or something similiar, can I simply splice the existing wiring of these lamps into my low voltage lines?

Has anyone found other low-voltage lighting options for a standard bulb sockets and tried this?

·
Registered
630 Posts
You should be able to convert the sockets to low voltage, you just need to determine the positive and negative on these another option is to leave them the standard 110v that they are and purchase some 3w LED bulbs, you can find them on ebay. Good luck and post some pics!

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
Using 110VAC plugs and sockets for anything other than 110VAC is a bad idea.

Consider what happens if someone picks up one of your modified plugs and recognises it as a 110VAC plug and promptly inserts it into a 110VAC socket with a 110VAC supply!

we had a problem like that over here, we get a lot of 110VAC devices that can work off of 240VAC without modification, so someone though it a great idea to take a regular 110VAC extension strip and put a 240VAC plug on it, yes, it worked fine for the dual voltage devices, but we also scrapped some very expensive 110VAC single voltage hardware by plugging it into this strip!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have to agree with Phoenix_UK. For low-voltage DC, there are many different socket options that you can use besides standard 120VAC sockets and plugs that will alleviate confusion. I personally use spring-loaded speaker terminals and just tin the ends of my DC lighting wires. You can also use audio jacks, or a number of other options.

Take a look at allelectronics.com for some ideas. They have a huge selection of connectors and terminals.

Liam

·
The Evil Apparitionist
555 Posts
Over the years, I’ve been converting my graveyard to low voltage lighting. One of this year’s projects is to create cemetery columns with old-world-style lamp posts mounted on top. I’ve been hunting for yard sale finds that I can remove the 110v standard light sockets to replace with some type of low-voltage lamp. However, it’s been difficult to find a pair I liked but I did find (and have on order) a very inexpensive pair of standard 110v lamp posts. Instead of disassembling and removing the sockets and wiring, can I use the existing socket with a low voltage lamp and connect the unit to my low voltage lighting? On the Internet, I believe I have found a compact fluorescent bulb designed to work on a 12v current. If I use that bulb or something similiar, can I simply splice the existing wiring of these lamps into my low voltage lines?

Has anyone found other low-voltage lighting options for a standard bulb sockets and tried this?
I do this all the time with regular 110vac sockets (E40 type). I just cut the plug off (keeps anyone from pluging it in the wrong place), wire it to a standard outdoor lighting transformer, and use trailer type 12 volt bulbs (Wal-mart has them). Trailer bulbs fit the standard socket but are 12 volt.

·
The Evil Apparitionist
555 Posts
I do this all the time with regular 110vac sockets (E40 type). I just cut the plug off (keeps anyone from pluging it in the wrong place), wire it to a standard outdoor lighting transformer, and use trailer type 12 volt bulbs (Wal-mart has them). Trailer bulbs fit the standard socket but are 12 volt.
You can use these also (durable and long lasting) but you'll need a DC supply:

eBay Motors: 12 Volt DC 48 White RV Boat Screw Base LED Light Bulb (item 230282860939 end time Aug-25-08 22:26:17 PDT)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great ideas everyone. Thanks for the links. I believe the lamp units are for hard wired installations so no plugs; they should arrive in a few days. I'll post pictures when it's complete but please keep posting more links and ideas as I'll be in the construction phase for the next few weeks. I'll be keeping an eye out for your responses.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Nice! but they won't do it 4 me.

Too many trees, too much shade. When the leaves finally are all fallen and the sun could get to the solar collecter lights , it's November!
I even tried grouping them in containers during the day, placing them in the direct sun, but then I would forget to put them back where they were needed and suddenly customers are here and away we go!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts