Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard of this out there somewhere, but didn't pay too much attention because I didn't need it. This year, I am helping someone with their haunt and it looks like this might be needed. He is going to have a large number of LED lights to control so he's too limited with the number of channels in VSA, but needs to sync everything to the audio file and has routines done in VSA that he wants to use. So if there's a way to convert and drop the VSA file into some of the channels in LOR, then use that to time out all of the other LEDs, that would be exactly what we're looking for.

Anybody ever hear of this conversion?

Any help is appreciated.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,460 Posts
Seems to me someone came up with a solution a few years ago. I can't remember if it was LOR or Vixen. If I remember correctly there was a work around for VSA . Was it using the Rapu controller?If I can think of it or find it I will definitely let you know.
Have you tried to get in touch with Steve O. from G.O.E. ? I think he did a write up on something like what you're looking for.

Re-read your post. Is he going to use a separate controller for the lights? I checked with Johnnie Mac over at EFX-TEK , and he was able to write a program that took a output from my servo board and sent it to a Prop-1 controller to run the effects. Sort of like getting more outputs for free. Maybe check with Nelson at Monkey basic about the Helmsman. But I think that was for storing and running a show. I hope some of this rambling helps.
\

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. You may be right. It could have been Vixen. Either way, it would work. The RAPU controller is not only overpriced, but wouldn't solve the problem. I suppose it could be triggered at a certain time, but getting precise synchronization between the audio track and the lights which would be using a different system would be next to impossible. It all has to reside on the same platform. So if I can convert the VSA routines to either LOR of Vixen and import them so they and the audio file were part of LOR or Vixen, then I could continue to program the lights all on the same software platform. I know Nelson and use Helmsman already. It works great for what it's intended to do, but I don't think it can provide me with additional channels to work with. Phoenix may be able to help with his DMXorsit program that may allow you to run multiple VSA programs simultaneously. I believe he is still a member here on this forum.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I have run out of channels. I have contacted Phoenix from this forum to ask if his DMXocist would solve that problem. Hopefully, I'll hear back from him soon.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,460 Posts
If you find a solution I hope you'll let us know, sounds like it could open up some different avenues of programming.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will. I wish I could remember where I first heard it. I will check out some Christmas Forums.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,460 Posts
I do remember some talk of using Vixen or LOR for operating a servo ? I think that was on the "other"forum.
Are the leds being run off of another control board?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know yet. I'm really not sure how that works. I will need several controller boards for the LED strips unless they make one with over 400 outputs. I'm new at the LED addressable strip thing and really have no real idea of how they're controlled.

I did hear that a program called X-Lights can read VSA files.

I am going to look into that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I looked into this 2 years ago and found something in the LOR archives but it was so old that it didn't work with the updated LOR and there wasn't anybody to support it. I think it used an excel spreadsheet to merge it over.
You can control all of the VSA controllers with LOR. You just have to do it through the DMX interface.
If i remember right you can use more of the VSA dmx Lines if you use DMXorsit. It runs different VSA programs at the same time, you just have to make sure the DMX Addresses don't over lap from one program to another.
If you are going with smart LED strips you should move over to LOR because the smart LED's take up so many addresses and LOR has many ways to program them.
If you do find some way to copy VSA over to LOR I would love to see it.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I still have some old VSA routines on a computer I thought about converting to the fright ideas boxes since they have the ability to dump DMX programs now and I like convenient and portable....https://blog.frightideas.com/capturing-dmx/ .......Always thought RAPU was too expensive...Still had a lot of money wrapped up in Excorcist though....If it has to be LOR then asking at their site would be essential....Good Luck....ZR

·
Registered
48 Posts
You can control all of the VSA controllers with LOR. You just have to do it through the DMX interface.
I forgot that VSA also uses usb and other connections beside DMX. So to correct my statement LOR can support the DMX boards that can be used with VSA.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you. I did just find a program that does let you import directly from VSA. It also has a skull interface built in based on the Skulltronix Skull. I think Jerry Jewel is involved in some way with this software, but it's not (as far as I know) a Skulltronix product. It is XLights. I mentioned it a few posts ago but hadn't looked into it yet. It's actually free software and from what I'm seeing, is at least as robust, if not more than LOR and Vixen. Someone on a Christmas Light forum suggested it to me. It uses the DMX over Ethernet E1.31 protocol and through supported controller cards runs many universes of DMX with as many channels as you need. It understands servo control and any DMX servo controller will work with it. If you're planning to add this kind of lighting to your display, and especially if you've been using VSA and don't want to re-program everything you've done so far, this is something you'll want to look into. Here's a link: http://xlights.org/ It's current and just had a new release on July 8th of 2018. I don't know how I have avoided hearing about this so far.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,460 Posts
Glad to hear you were able to find something.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Haven't read this forum for a little while, but as soon as I read the start of this thread I thought " this person needs xLights"
Glad to see you found it @HalloweenBob
A guy by the name of Gil is responsible for the VSA (Skulltronix) implementation in xLights. The program is constantly updated, weekly, sometimes daily!, with the latest updates adding support for over 4,000 DMX fixtures (mostly lights and moving heads, but I'm trying to talk Keith into adding fog machines).
The show scheduler (xSchedule) has also had a lot of improvements lately, with emphasis on live performance use and triggering that may be useful for Halloween props and haunts.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you!! If I get stuck with the software at some point, I'll come back here and beg for knowledge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Halloween Bob,

I am building a talking skeleton and I am using LOR servo dog board. I have attached a link so you can see it. also LOR will convert Xlights

lightorama.com/servodog.html

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks. I can't get the link to work, even by copying and pasting into a browser, but I would be interested in seeing it. For the project I mentioned in this thread, we have gone the way of Xlights, with the option to import VSA files directly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Halloween Bob,

Sorry that the the link did not work, I see that I do not have permissions to send links....
so here is what you can do, if you are still interested. you could go to the light-o- Rama home page and then
go to the light o Rama store you will find it under components or try this store.lightorama.com.

have a good day
wnkrwnkr

1 - 19 of 19 Posts