Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have talked my wife into going to the Midwest Haunters Convention in 2014. We are not owners of a haunt or anything. This is my first year of setting up an elaborate set up at home (I’m usually working on Halloween) but love scaring people and seeing their reactions. I wouldn’t call it a home haunt, but it is my haunt. :)

I really want to do the pre convention bus tour if it is offered again this year. Looks like a blast !!
My question is, we are convention virgins and know absolutely no one. I see there is a section for volunteering at the convention and was wondering if anyone could give an idea of what volunteers do. We basically know nothing about haunting other than it is fun. :) I wouldn’t want to volunteer to do something where I would be put in a place that would require some type of haunting knowledge, but thought this would be the best way to meet new people. I’m not exactly the best in social situation with people I don’t know.

Thanks for any advice.

Kevin

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've never been to a haunt convention/tradeshow either.... but been to other tradeshows. I think you're on the right track about volunteering in order to meet people- maybe there will be a group from Halloween forum that will meet up there and you can hang out with them. I wish I could go,

·
Registered
11 Posts
This will be our 4th year going to MHC and you will have no problem making haunt friends! We knew absolutely no one our first year and learned very quickly how friendly everyone is. The main thing we were told was to never say "im just a home haunter".... no! You ARE a home haunter and be proud of it! you will meet everyone from set designers, owners, actors, make up artists, home haunters and pro haunters.

We travel 10 hours to get to this convention and wouldnt miss it! Plus they are keeping the tradeshow floor price at $5 per person and costume ball is $40

·
Registered
483 Posts
I've never been to any of the big conventions either although I have friends that have gone and say they are great! As much as I'd love to go to Transworld some day it would be more to just look as most items I suspect would be way beyond the budget of this Home Haunter. MHC, from what I've heard, seems more geared to the small-time Pro, Charity or Home Haunter. It's still not definite but looking more and more like I'll be able to go to MHC this year and I'm getting really excited! I've booked a room at the Drury just in case and am looking forward to when they'll have all the seminar info updated on the website - hopefully soon!

·
Registered
449 Posts
The MHC staff are always looking for volunteers but in my opinion, you should attend your first convention just seeing and doing stuff. There will be plenty of opportunities for networking and socializing, especially during the pre-show bus tour, Friday social events, and the Hyatt bar. If you wish to volunteer, do it your second or third year when you're familiar with whats going on. I would hate for you to miss something because you were working.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
GO.. You WILL FIND the common acceptance level to be extremely HIGH! (You will have look long and hard to find any "sour-Apples")
Sometimes Assigned "tasks" can be sort of ill-defined if you are to be saying or doing, but WTH? Fun is where you happen to find it and 99% of people attending are seeking the same things that you are going for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts