Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for ways to control my fog machine and electric props that are activated my sensor pads with my lor controller any help would be appreciated.I am starting late on this probably should have been working on this months ago
Thx

·
Registered
188 Posts
My entire haunt is run with LOR. Check the webpage on my sig line it has last years news story on our haunt, even the tiki birds are run by LOR. Wall worts are the primary tool, DMX also is used. Foggers are DMX or a relay box was made for non DMX units. Give me some details what items you want to run and ill get you going.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off thanks for replying back. It looks like you have a very cool setup at your house ,looks great! I am using lor controllers that are 6 years old now.I did 2 christmas seasons with them and had a lot of fun was a huge hit.I went a little crazy and burnt my self out . I thought I give halloween a shot this year.I am wanting to put a hanging guy in the tree and have him animated with pneumatics or electric motor .I was told by dc props they could build one with a 110 valve I assume that would work.I will also need to operate a fog machine.The one I have now is a non dmx machine but was thinking about adding a new one this year,my controllers are 6 years old so not sure if compatible .I was also thinking about adding a cheap prop like the lurching lunger that moves and talks but was not sure how to activate him with the controllers either? I have a crank ghost in the garage and few other guys I made over the years.
Thx Bob

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I don't use LOR but basically you can trigger any prop that has N.O. contacts as it's trigger (such as a step mat). Just use a 120v relay that has a set of N.O. contacts. Connect the N.O. wires from the prop to the N.O. contacts of the relay and control the relay with LOR.
You can do the same with the fog machine but you'll need to hack the timer and connect the N.O. relay contacts to the "manual" button of the timer. Triggering a fog machine is sometimes hit or miss, they usually cycle off for a short period when the temp gets too high. Goes without saying, just be careful when wiring anything that's 120v.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Age of the controllers should not be an issue. You may want to upgrade your LOR software as there are some cool new features but the hardware should not have changed much. All it is doing is turning each channel on/off. Props are just like lights, motor on/off.

Pnu, yes 110 v works-just get 2 way cylinders. That's what I use and just plug directly into a LOR channel. Power on-ram extends, power off it retracts.

As J Man said anything that accepts an input can be triggered with LOR. Smaller non-DMX fog machines require a relay to operate. I used to say Radio Shack had all that was needed but they didn't even have wire connectors last time I went in so online is your best bet. A job box, ice cube style relay and about 15 minutes is all that is required.

Other props I like to go even easier and use AC-DC wall worts. Goodwill in my town has massive bins of these for $1.50 each. Wire the unit into the on signal input and plug into your channel on LOR.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be more specific this is the machine I want to control with the lor controller. Chauvet Lighting Hurricane 1301 Fog Machine

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
To be more specific this is the machine I want to control with the lor controller. Chauvet Lighting Hurricane 1301 Fog Machine
Like I said earlier, you'll have to hack the timer and connect a relay to the "manual" button. The relay will be controlled with LOR.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ya got to remember that a flogger needs to stay powered up. LOR just turns power on and off so that alone won't work with A smoke machine.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Ya got to remember that a flogger needs to stay powered up. LOR just turns power on and off so that alone won't work with A smoke machine.
That's why you need to hack the timer and install a relay. This was already explained earlier in this thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts