1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone
was just checking to see if anyone knew anything about
contact lenses?
do u need a persriction,how comfortable are they,how long can they be worn for, is there a one size fits all, and is there a good place to get them online

·
Clarification: Not A Man
1,184 Posts
long but worth it.

If your vision is fine you do not need a prescription for FX lenses but you do need an eye exam to get the measurements of your eyes.
benefit there is that many optometrists carry FX lenses in their office and can fit you for a pair on site. if they don't have the lenses they can order them for you.
be sure that when you do see the Doc to let him/her know that you want FX lenses.

FX lenses can be found in a number of places online, if you are curious about a site you find, check the buyer reviews and don't be afraid to ask here about the site

FX lenses are awkward at first to wear but you do get used to them. you may see a edge of color when you blink or move your eyes too quickly, that is normal.
Recommended wearing time is 4-6 hours starting at 2-4 hours and moving it up incrementally. however, some people can wear the lenses for 12-18 hours with out problem. slowly up the hours until you find a time duration that you can wear the lenses comfortably.

If your vision gets blurry stop wearing your lenses for 2 days to a week and if the blur persists then call your optometrist and make an appointment and let them know how long you were routinely wearing the lenses to see if they are the cause.
Prolonged wearing of FX lenses can cause blurred vision or blindness so be careful and don't wear them longer that you are comfortable.

other than all that it is basic care and cleaning and general rules:
don't sleep with them in, don't share the lenses, use lens cleaner to wash them, properly store them, etc.

hope that has answered your questions :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Remember that if you have a drink, you will still need to take them out before you go to sleep/pass out....

i wanted some, but I'm afraid to risk it at my own party, as I tend to stay drinking until the last person has left/passed out before I crawl my way bedwards, and I don't guarantee I'd remember to remove them!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't wear contact lenses normally, but I did buy a pair for this Halloween. What is a good multi-purpose solution? Plus, after I use them can I store them in one of those contact lens cases till next Halloween?

·
Banned
535 Posts
Well im gonna be honest with you i wouldnt store and reuse a set of contacts after one year no matter what anyone says. I mean why risk anything these are the only two eyes you have. A lot will dissagree with me and thats fine but i would not do it but again thats just me...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well if someone pays $80.00 for a set of costume contact lenses I doubt they are going to use them once and then toss them. :p

·
1,184 Posts
a good solution is Opti-Free or any no rub solutions,
be sure to read the box and see if it says they can be used as eye drops because some solutions can't and once you put the lenses in the solution and case you need to wait 8 hours before you can put them back in your eyes. if you don't it's like putting pepper spray in your eyes....

anyhow i agree with toetag, don't put them in a case and let them sit for a year.
if you intend to wear them more often (like once a week) then leaving them in the case is fine, just be sure to rinse them well with lens cleaner before putting them in.
for no reason should you let contacts sit in a case for a year and expect to be able to wear them.

·
1,184 Posts
not really... maybe freezing but that's likely to destroy them.....

contact lenses degrade over time and the edges get thinner, holes develop and the lens itself just gets ruined
with FX lenses the paint can start to fade or wash off into the solution through osmosis (which is why your not supposed to wear them too long)
another thing is that the solution will dry up, either be seeping into the plastic of the case or just evaporating so unless your checking them on a weekly basis the lenses will eventually dry out (had that happen to me)

all in all if your going to buy the lenses they are worth wearing out more than just on halloween. if treated and handled right the lenses can last up to a year or more, but as for just letting them sit in a case for a year it's not worth the $80 for lenses.

on that note they should make FX lenses like the one day disposable lenses for people that only want them for one time use.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well if I have to check the case, clean and refill the solution once a week I will. I want to get as much use out of these as I can, and I only plan on wearing them a few times a year.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This will be my 2nd year with a pair of white out lens , all I did was keep FRESH saline solution in the case through out the year. I did wear them once in a while, just to be a freak :) ,I mean to freak out people. I do wear contacts and am able to keep up with the routine of changing the solution, that is the most important thing IMO.
Highball

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just remember if they start to bother you, dont keep using them. It probably means the contacts are not good for your eyes. I usually only wear them for 3-4 hrs at a time , total time worn on this pair is only around 16hrs. Ive also cleaned them very well before putting them away. If you dont wear contacts and dont know how to maintain them then you really should ask an eye doctor . This is something that I have done but is not what I would suggest that you do, especially if you dont wear contacts. Your best bet would be BUY them, USE them , PITCH them. Seems like a waste but much safer that way.
Highball

·
Registered
100 Posts
My wife is a contact lens tec. They have contacts for Halloween-http://www.wild-eyes.com/flash.htm
She spoke to one of the docs and he gave the ok, I can have a pair for free left over from last year, and yes, they do make a solution so you can store them over the years.
All the pairs that had black in them turned white. According to ceba, its perfectly normal and safe. So Im getting a pair of knock outs, turned white outs for free!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Renu MuliPlus, and as mentioned before, change the solution about once a month.
I tried them on today! I had to have my wife put them in and they fit well. I had a problem putting them in, but no prob taking them out.
Ill post pics later tonight, after she gets off work, Ill try to put them in again.
never mind, was able to get them myself!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think it depends on the quality of the lenses

I have several experiences with custom contacts. I admit, the red vampire pair I had were only good for one year and I tossed them. I suspect the same for this year's new black pinpoints, but I didn't pay a lot of money for them, altho' they are prescription.

However, I have a pair of Minnesota Vikings contact lenses obtained thru my eye doctor, and they've been good for several years. They also cost considerably more than my Halloween lenses, so I expected them to last longer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wear costume contacts everyday they are comfortable and if get them from eye masters they will last about a year and some good sites for them are:
contactlensheaven.com
9mmsfx.com
vampfangs.com
fxeyes.com

1 - 20 of 31 Posts