Halloween Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year as it was my first time doing anything real for halloween I purchased a fogger and made a chiller. Fog machine is a Chauvet 700 from amazon. The down side is that it has to charge every few minutes after firing for about 90 seconds.

That gold old quick but at least my boys and their friends had fun pressing the remote buttons to make it work.

My questions are is there a way to make this model constant?

Or what is a good lower priced brand constant fogger I can look at for next year?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Without knowing much about your particular machine, I'm going to guess your fogger can not be converted. As I understand it, the problem is the heater: to vaporize the fluid the heater needs to be constantly generating lots of heat, and home/semi pro foggers just aren't made with that in mind, so must stop to reheat every little while.

The theatrical units that output much more fog are likely very expensive and energy hungry. I don't know your budget, but I've hyperventilated when looking at the pro models.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,389 Posts
Might be cheaper to just buy another cheap fogger or two, and see if you can successfully stagger the timing of the fog bursts, to keep the fog as constant as possible.

I've purchased a few of the consumer grade machines - including "big" ones - but even the larger units are far from "constant" fog.
The consumer models just simply cannot sustain the heat needed to be constant.

Might be time to buy pro-sumer level.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
You can get a remote timer for the fog machine that will allow you to set the automatic interval and duration for the fog. By setting the duration to just a few seconds (instead of 90 seconds) you would likely get a better consistent effect. Shorter bursts of fog will allow the heater to maintain temperature thus allowing more frequent short bursts of fog.

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
You can get a remote timer for the fog machine that will allow you to set the automatic interval and duration for the fog. By setting the duration to just a few seconds (instead of 90 seconds) you would likely get a better consistent effect. Shorter bursts of fog will allow the heater to maintain temperature thus allowing more frequent short bursts of fog.
Hmmm...For $19 on ebay, I wonder if that would work as a cheap prop timer...to kick off an event every X seconds/minutes.

As for continuous fog, I have a Chauvet 1300 that has a continuous mode, but with Froggy's Fog Juice, that would white-out my entire block and cause car crashes. ;-)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hmmm...For $19 on ebay, I wonder if that would work as a cheap prop timer...to kick off an event every X seconds/minutes.
Yes you can, but you have to take some care. The wiring is not standard or the same between different timers. This year I was transferring my working modified timer to a waterproof box and I must have crossed a wire somewhere. Bang, no more timer :(
Will have to try again some time.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I've bought timers after the fact and not had a lot of success with them. It's best to buy a fogger that comes with the timer. As a matter of fact I don't recommend buying a fogger that doesn't come with one. I used 5 foggers this year and all were on timers. By tweaking the duration of the blast, and the interval between blasts I didn't have to refill any of them through the night and still had plenty of atmosphere. I use two superfoggers for blanket coverage and then had a 1000W from Spirit for my creep and 700W ones from Spencers for my horses where it's not about volume but frequent short bursts.

Again, never buy a fogger without a timer. BTW, the timers come with a manual override, so you can still walk up and push the button and pump out a ton of fog.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Home fog machines just are not built for continuous use. The heating element heats up, then cools as it the heat is dissipated into the fog fluid. Eventually, it reaches a point where it's too cold to vaporize the liquid, so the power to the pump is cut (usually by a mechanical thermostat) and it has to reheat.

The professional grade machines have massive heaters and massive, heavy heat sinks, as well. Once the whole system is up to temperature, the residual heat in the block helps to keep the vaporizing coil at operating temperature as the heating element adds more heat to keep up with demand. The heat isn't being drained away quickly by the fluid.

We use Ultratec Power Fog Industrial 9D units at work. They use 1,400W heaters. "Hey, that's only 400W more than some Halloween machines!" Well, yes, but they also weigh 29 pounds. Sure, they have a metal enclosure, but most of that weight is in the heating block. The rest of the machine is some temperature sensors, a custom PCB, an espresso machine pump, and tubing.

Check out the internals on ultratec's website in the Service section. The heatblock is HUGE.

They're expensive, absolutely, but if you can find a good deal on one, it will last the rest of your life and you'll have amazing smoke. Seriously. You'll never buy another one. About the only thing I have to do to them is install a new Rapid Change Kit (the vaporizing coil) every few months and that only costs $59. Then, it's good as new. Our machines go through 55 gallons of fluid every month or so. They get used.

I happened to find a different model (Stage Fogger DMX) that is a different form factor, but the same components on craigslist for $200. I never thought I'd personally own something like I use at work. Just keep an eye out and set searches for keywords. You never know what you'll find.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Check the connection where the remote plugs into the fogger. I don't own this model but from what I have found, the 700 has the typical 3-pin connection. If that's the case, the timers sold by Spirit and on ebay should work. The Chauvet 1100 seems to have a different 6-pin connection which would require the special timer made by Chauvet. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I believe it is Chauvet's remote timer that is not compatible with the 700. Chauvet's timer has a 6 pin connection, that's why their's won't work with the 700.
The commonly sold run of the mill timers have the standard 3 prong connection which is probably what the 700 has. As I said, I do not own a 700 so you need to take a look at yours.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Now granted I don't run it continuously but my Hurricane 1300 has never let me down for a heating cycle. I did have a problem with a stuck limit switch on that guy this year, but it was remedied quickly and she just keeps on firing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.